Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm looking for a tool... >

I'm looking for a tool...

I'm looking for a tool...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:52 PM

The one I have was called a 'bone' - looks sort of like a flat piece of bone or ivory - know just what you're looking for; just cannot remember where I got mine.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM

i got the wooden one (also have the white plastic one) but the wooden one i got at joanns....i think they are better than stillettos or anything very sharp that can go thru fabric.....gina
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
No, it isn't a stiletto. It's wider and flat. Imagine a tongue depresser that comes to a point rather than rounder but made from a much less flexible wood.
I believe what your looking for is what they call a 'wooden iron'. She has them for sale at the address below. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/search/de...+iron&x=16&y=6
Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM

The Purple Thang works well for this too. I also use a lacquered chop stick.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM

No, it isn't a stiletto. It's wider and flat. Imagine a tongue depresser that comes to a point rather than rounder but made from a much less flexible wood.
Yes, I have one made of wood and one made of white plastic. Don't know what it's called. Only thing I know is each time I need it I can't find either one of them. :oops: WhenI did garment sewing, I used the rounded end to round out collars as I turned the right side out.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM

I have a small plastic rule that is also a turner, Alex Anderson was advertising her multifunction tool that is also a turner - perhaps you could look that up. It's called the essential tool:

http://www.ctpub.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=1390
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM

When I can't find my bamboo turner-----I use the tool from my cricket machine! It's plastic, but the same shape. Almost like a finger nail file. It's used for creasing folds on paper cards, but works for fabric corners, too!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:48 PM

It's called a "Point Turner".. generally sold at most fabric stores in their notions section. I know JoAnn's carries them... The one I have it bamboo.. Very handy.

You can also use other things, but you want something that has a nice rounded point so you don't poke through the corner.. many times the corners are trimmed closely and that makes them pretty easy to poke right through.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM

It's made from wood, is kind of flat, maybe 1/2" or so wide. I don't know how long or how thick, but it is used to push out corners when turning something right-side out. I've done notions searches on several sites and can't find it. Did I dream it up?
I believe you are looking for a wood iron. Is one end wider than the other end? I have seen them at Joanns. Also, all quilt stores usually carry one version or another.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
It's called a "Point Turner".. generally sold at most fabric stores in their notions section. I know JoAnn's carries them... The one I have it bamboo.. Very handy.

You can also use other things, but you want something that has a nice rounded point so you don't poke through the corner.. many times the corners are trimmed closely and that makes them pretty easy to poke right through.
yes, Mine is Bamboo also.