Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing YOUR SCRAPS >

Organizing YOUR SCRAPS

Organizing YOUR SCRAPS

Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 PM

I am finally to the point that my scraps have gotten far too much for a small plastic container and in fact, since my last 3+ months of collecting many more for my charm quilts, it is getting out of control.
I am curious to know how all of you organize your scraps.

I have read some by color yet others by size. Please help.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Cyn

Mine are still in large garbage cans :(
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM

If they are big enough, I fold them around my 6.5" square quilters rule, then put them in a plastic drawer I got at Walmart. They fit 2 folded squares across really well, They are in "rainbow order" as my kids would say. If they are smaller, and I have lots of those since I do paper piecing, they go in another of the drawers in little ziplock bags by color - but they don't stay in any sort of order like that: too slippery!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Some of both - I used to have a few shoeboxes sorted by color...sort of. BLue/green/purple in one, black and white and grey in another. I found out (a) if I'm going to do it by color every color must have its own box and (b) clear containers are better so I can SEE what I've got.

All my strings are in one container together. I have some 1.5" squares together and some 2" squares together.

But most of my scraps are mixed up in one big box. I'm slowly collecting the clear plastic containers that my dishwasher detergent packs come in - so far yellow and green have their own containers.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl
I am finally to the point that my scraps have gotten far too much for a small plastic container and in fact, since my last 3+ months of collecting many more for my charm quilts, it is getting out of control.
I am curious to know how all of you organize your scraps.

I have read some by color yet others by size. Please help.
I do mine by size. I think it is personal choice. No right or wrong way.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM

I sort by color and then size within that color.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Whichever way it works best for you :D:D:D
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM

First I iron the pcs I intend to keep. I then cut several sizes of squares from them. The large pcs are cut into six inches, then on down the line. If the pc is very large, say a full fat quarter, or near to it, then I just fold it and put it into a plastic shoe-box sized container, already sorted by color.

For the cut pcs, I put them into a separate container by size and go from there. I have found that having the squares already cut into sizes - say about 3 inch - somehow makes it so much easier to actually set out to make a scrappy - I love nine-patches but I have a bunch of four-patches that I make every so often - soon I'll have enough to make a quilt. I just finished a small nine-patch top I'll quilt for a new baby when ever one appears in my life from where ever. This one I made with 2-1/2 in. squares.

There is one down side to this. I will never finish using these scraps if I live to be 150 and never buy another fat quarter again. I also donate bunches of already cut 6 inch squares to others to make for Project Linus.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Mine are by size and shape. I use the clear plastic shoe box size containers. They are cut into 1 1/2", 2 1/2", 4 1/2", and 6" squares --- apple cores, tumblers, triangles, and 3 1/2" X 6 1/2" rectangles, 2 1/2" strips, strings, selvedges and the last one is for bits and oddly shaped pieces for crazy quilt blocks. Right now I also have containers for multiples of 2 1/2" squares (2 each for a four-patch and 5 each for a nine-patch). I'm a little OCD but when you want to something to sew, without a lot of thought, the pieces are ready to go!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM

I have a chester drawers and certain ones, colors etc,,in each drawer...sizes etc.