Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do your kids sew/quilt? >

do your kids sew/quilt?

do your kids sew/quilt?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I'm teaching my 4 yo DGD to sew. I think everyone should know how to sew, even if it is just to sew on a button.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:20 PM

I have bought each of my two daughters a sewing machine & am teaching second daughter to sew & quilt. My son keeps treatening to use my embroidery machine to make patches for the tattoo shop he works at. I've told him no, but I still have to keep an eye on my supplies. My DH doesn't want anything to do with my machines. He will drive to shop hops & help pick out fabric, but that's all.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 PM

Tell him to buy his own supplies.. They are not cheap!

Originally Posted by Eileen
I have bought each of my two daughters a sewing machine & am teaching second daughter to sew & quilt. My son keeps treatening to use my embroidery machine to make patches for the tattoo shop he works at. I've told him no, but I still have to keep an eye on my supplies. My DH doesn't want anything to do with my machines. He will drive to shop hops & help pick out fabric, but that's all.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 PM

My son of 21 is just finishing the quilting on his first quilt to his new unborn baby girl, he says he has no further intrest in making another one-we'll see. DD has shown some intrest in making clothes for her and the boys-we'll see. The oldest has shown no signs and teases the youngest for his efforts.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 PM

It's nice for anyone to sew.There is always something to mend.Sew that is a good thing.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:42 PM

My son (5 next month) learned to embroider at VBS this past summer and loves it. He sits beside me and I guide him, but all the stitches are his. I haven't let him go any farther yet, but he wants to. Anytime I sew he sits beside me and watches and asks questions.
He is GREAT at picking out fabrics for me though...I often ask his opinion and he has even picked out all the fabrics on some of my quilts.

My mom and I only started quilting within the last year or so... however she has always sewn everything else. She attempted to teach me when I was younger, but it never really worked out, until I was older and tried on my own.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 PM

My oldest DD cannot sew on a button, 2nd DD I call "Martha Stewart" without the cleaning, she can take the most plain object and make it into something useful, very crafty, she sews and scrapbooks. The DS is creative too as he writes music.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:50 PM

My daughter does not sew and does not want to sew. I don't know why. It skipped a generation, so now my DGD and I sew alot. FUN!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM

My son has always been very creative. When he was in first grade, he made a costume out of cardboard & elastic & bias tape from my sewing supplies. I have to always keep track of my scissors to make sure he doesn't have them.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

I have 3 young men and they don't sew.