Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Direction of diagonal seams >

Direction of diagonal seams

Direction of diagonal seams

Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker pretty much up until now, but I have a question I hope y'all will answer. I'm working on a quilt with several borders, two plain white with a pieced multi-colored one in between. The strips for the white borders are joined on the diagonal. I just put on the last white border and found that the diagonal seams in the two white borders are going in different directions if you know what I mean. Even though there is a pieced border separating them, the seams are close together and are noticeable. At first I figured it would be best if both seams ran in the same direction and was prepared to rip it out. Then, after spreading the quilt on the floor and looking, I've about decided that having the seams going in opposite directions makes them less noticeable. Either way, it looks like one border will need to come off & be resewn, which is fine I guess. Is there a rule of thumb on this? Does it matter? Am I nuts? Thanks for your help & sorry this is so long!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
bj

I'm not sure it'll matter in the long run. When you do the quilting in the borders they may not show up at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM

I try to always have the diagonal seams going in the same direction, but that is just my personal preference. I don't think it matters in the end :)
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM

I never gotten a clear answer to that myself, so my personal solution for blocks with lots of diagonals is to press them open and when I quilt, use a motif that goes back and forth over the seams a lot.

Diana
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks! Maybe I'll just leave them as they are. That would save a lot of ripping!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
I never gotten a clear answer to that myself, so my personal solution for blocks with lots of diagonals is to press them open and when I quilt, use a motif that goes back and forth over the seams a lot.
Diana
I think is a really good idea on the lighter colored fabric. And if the border is heavily quilted, no one will see it.