Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who actually cuts their "own" jelly rolls? >

Who actually cuts their "own" jelly rolls?

Who actually cuts their "own" jelly rolls?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 AM

I've had trouble with purchased jelly rolls. They aren't always cut accurately. I cut my own now.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 AM
farscapegal

Originally Posted by quilter1943
I cut all of my own fabric for everything.
I do too and I don't cut anything until I need it. I never know what size I am going to need so I wait until I decide on a pattern.

Sybil

Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 AM

I cannot cut a straight line so I have bought jelly rolls at Hancocks called Hot House they r not accurate.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 AM

I have bought jelly rolls a few times and like the fact there are ten different fabrics although occasionally one or two may not be cut as accurately as I would like. Another way to obtain a wider variety is to have a strip exchange. One of the bees I belong to decided to do a 2 inch strip exchange. Every month we would give each member three strips: one each of light, medium, and dark. Any color was acceptable but all fabrics were civil war era. We each ended up with enough strips to make two quilts. We are all in the process of completing our quilts for a quilt show. The quilts are different designs. We did purchase additional fabrics for back grounds or borders but the majority of fabric used is from our strips. It was a great idea and it's amazing how different each quilt is. There are nine of us in the group so each month we each needed to purchase three half a yards of fabric to share. A great way to have a huge variety.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5WgTyqB8Pc

Have you seen this video of strip quilting. This is a way to use some of your own jelly rolls. Looks good with any fabrics.

I love the videos by the Missouri Star Quilt company.

Jean in MI
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 AM

I use strip patterns, love Cozy Quilts (no affiliation, name may be slightly wrong?) and then go through my stash and select fabrics to cut into strips. I use them to decrease my stash! did one of my dog fabrics, another of greens, and another of reds... Love it, hate to pay someone else to cut the strips when I can do it for free!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 AM

I amost never cut my own. I love the jelly roll packs, charm squares and layer cakes because I have a sample of each of the fabrics in a line and I could never afford to buy that much fabric at one time. I love the fact that the coordination is done for me and there are come combinations that I would never think of on my own. That being said, I have stated cutting some of my smaller scraps (I save all but the smallest of scraps) into 5" charm squares in order to turn them into something I might actually use someday.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by rdorminy
With my increasing stash I've started cutting my own 2.5" strips and putting them into co-ordinating stacks. It's working for me.
I just got the June Tailor mat for cutting them, so I will start. I do like the Moda collections. I am terrible at finding coordinating designs and colors. Now they have jelly rolls and charms in solid colors, but I will start doing my own now; should be a savings.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 AM

I bought one jelly roll an now cut my own because There were too many I did not like.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 AM

I just bought a "roll" of jelly roll. what can I make out of it? Please help!