Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks on barns? >

Blocks on barns?

Blocks on barns?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM

I had looked up barn quilts,and like them so much I made one for our barn. I dont have any pic her in AZ,but when i get home I will post my barn quilt. :D
Old 03-22-2011, 04:52 PM

I was in Mo. last fall, a lot of the barns there had the big quilt blocks, painted on them.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
I hope you bought treated wood. Plywood won't hold up more than a year or so. It would be a shame to put all the work into it, then have it rot so quickly. Our group here is painting them on metal for that reason.
Silly question I know - but where do you get the metal & exactly what do you get? Thanks :-D
Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM

what you saw is called in our area 'quilt trails' ours is the western north carolina chapter www.quilttrailswnc.org these blocks are all up and down the eastern coast. where i live i can see 2- 8' blocks at all times.my daughter is in college and is in the process of fixing a block to donate to her college for her senior project, this is her heritage, the college is so excited.this process can involve the local high school art department, carpenter dept. and retired people . it also helps to bring tourist in (people really do go quilt block looking) we have our county divided into 9 sections.my section has18 blocks and it takes 3 hours to drive, we are talking picnic lunch,beautiful mountains ect. these blocks are from 2' to 8' in size and cost from250. and up they are on barns ,churches and business. this is more info. then you may have wanted ,so tell husband you really did see quilt blocks on barns.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM

If you contact www.quilttrailswnc.org Barbara can give you all the info. on supplies.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM

I haven't seen them out here in Washington, but then haven't really looked hard, either. However, a couple of weeks ago my husbnad and I were in a town on the Oregon coast and saw one on a large dairy barn. I didn't have my camera with me, so told him we'd have to go back the next day so I could take a picture of it.
Well, the next morning we were awakened by a tsuname warning because of the earthquake in Japan and had to evacuate because our hotel was right on the beach.
Now we'll just have to go back because I really want a picture of that square. :lol:
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
My husband and I just took a trip to the Oregon Coast and we saw a bunch of the barn quilts in Tillamook County.
That's where we were! I saw only one, though, so when we go back to take a picture of that one, I'll have to see about locating some more! Did you visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory? Yummm. The one square I saw was on a barn across the highway from the entrance to the Air Museum. Really pretty.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
Originally Posted by Country1
Here in Ky you see them alot. I think they are beautiful.
Yep. The landscape of Kentucky is dotted with them.
There are oodles of them around the Bardstown area too of Ky.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 AM

Sounds very interesting, need to do some research.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 AM

Anyone know of a painted barn in Illinois?