Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh no - binding! >

Oh no - binding!

Oh no - binding!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Since no one has posted it yet, I'm going to recommend (again) Sharon Schamber's binding youtube videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc (corrected link)

... Just genius.[/quote]

Wow, MTS, this is great; I Just watched. Sharon Schambra is now my hero. She helped me (or rather her videos did) when I was working on my Lonestar Gone Wrong, and this binding tutorial is over the top excellent. My Quilting Bookmarks continue to grow. Thanks for sharing this. The bit about the mitred corners blew me away. I'd always struggled with those darn corners. She makes it very clear. Thanks again.

-- Jillaine
Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I used red so now I have a lot of red stitching showing on the backing. It's a dilemma that I haven't overcome yet.
Take a permanent blue marker and "dot" your red stitches on the back.
Gone! :wink:
OR.... use a decorative stitch with verigated thread
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I'm in danger of finishing a quilt - this hasn't happened for a long time :) But I see my least favourite task rapidly approaching: the binding. I usually do double binding, stitched to the right side and finished on the back.
Two problems that always stress me:first, how wide a strip to cut? This quilt is 60in square. Then, worst moment of all, finishing it off. I see those two ends getting closer and closer to each other and the panic rises. I always end up bodging them together, having got in a terrible tangle over which sides go together, 45 degree angles etc etc. Can anyone describe to me how to do it, or recommend a good and vey clear tutorial?

There is an excellent binding tutorial here on the QB. Unfortunately, the search function isn't working. They did maintenance on the system yesterday...hopefully they will fix it. I think it was titled Perfect binding every time.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 AM
MTS
Banned

A thousand apologies for leaving a bad link. I usually check first but had to run. Strange how I lost a slash in the middle of the link.

Thanks to everyone for correcting it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 PM

This thread really set me off today - looking at various binding tutorials, etc. The very BEST so far is Susan Schamber - 3 YouTube videos on binding. There are some real eye-openers in there, at least for me. Mind you, I haven't actually tried these methods yet, but I certainly will on my next binding project. Here's a link to the first video:

http://youtu.be/4PE0Yq9iGlc

If you search YouTube for Susan Schamber binding you will find all of them.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM

[quote=sparkys_mom]
Originally Posted by MTS
Since no one has posted it yet, I'm going to recommend (again) Sharon Schamber's binding youtube videos.

I used to do really good binding, I thought it was fine and I had the whole concept down.

But now, they are sooooooo much better. She covers everything from cutting the binding, to pressing, to sewing, to turning, to EVERYTHING!

Here's part one (of 3):
http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Watch. Learn. This is the kind of stuff that should be handed to someone the minute she says she wants to learn how to quilt.

Just genius.
I must start to worry about my short-term memory! I *knew* someone mentioned Susan Schamber in this thread and couldn't find it - but you are so right -- this should be handed from the get-go to anyone who says they want to quilt.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Here's the one I like:

http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting...ding/index.htm
Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I put the binding on a new quilt last night - using the tutorial I mentioned earlier. The binding is perfectly matched and my mitered corners look really good.

My problem now is the final stitching. I sew the binding to the back and then turn it over and sew the front side. I can't seem to avoid having the stitching show through on the back. On this quilt, the binding is red and the back is blue. If I used blue thread in the bobbin there would be blue in some spots on the binding. I used red so now I have a lot of red stitching showing on the backing. It's a dilemma that I haven't overcome yet.

A friend recommended that I use monofilament but I am making charity quilts for Quilts for Kids and they don't want you to use that - and they don't want anything hand-stitched.
I purposely let it show on both sides, using a serpentine stitch which makes it kind of fancy.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by FancyFoot
I use this method, too. It was the only one I found that made sense to me! I also like Shelley's instructions for making continuous bias binding...doesn't waste fabric since you start with a rectangle of fabric instead of a square and her instructions also made sense to me!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 AM

There is a wonderful tutorial right here on the board that GammaO did:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-58567-1.htm