Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh no - binding! >

Oh no - binding!

Oh no - binding!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Binding:
Cut strips 2.5 inches wide for a doubled binding that finishes .5 inches wide on both sides. Piece the entire length figuring about 10 inches extra in length after adding the 4 sides together. This will allow ample to turn corners, mitered also. Once seamed together (I don't mess with making mitered seams, sewing straight seams works just fine--but press the seams open.) press it in half, right sides together.

Fan-fold the entire length. Seal a #10 (business size) envelope and cut off both ends. This makes the binding "holder." Place the fan-folded binding into the "holder." Hold the envelope together with a rubber band, just tight enough so that the binding doesn't fall out. Pull the binding out as you need more length. This give you a neat way to control the binding and not have it get all over.
Sandy
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Sorry if those of you on the West Coast were just woken up by the shout of "YES!" from Sheffield UK. This was me finding that the ends of my binding were perfectly joined together. Thankyou to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I used a method in a tutorial here on the board that Kitsie very kindly pointed out to me.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51632-1.htm

But I'm likely to have several more binding jobs in the near future as I quilt my ufos (at last!), and it'll be interesting to look at some of the other resources that have been suggested.

Incidentally, it's the quilt in my avatar that I'm working on. I've used stitch-in-the-ditch, which looks great on a plain brown backing fabric.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Someone else may have mentioned this, but I don't have time to read the whole thread today - I've been off-line since April 9 - 250+ emails to read! Guess what I'm reading first ~ ~ ~

The formula for width of binding to cut if you're using folded binding is 6 X the seam allowance + depth of the quilt sandwich.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 AM
RDM

I cut most binding strips on grain unless quilt edges are curved, then I cut on bias. I like Marci Baker's tutorial for connecting ends, or will use Fons & Porters quilting book which is excellent. Having done many this way I no longer fear binding my quilts. Check out "Quilt with Marci Baker" at Marci's Attic. She has great YouTube tutorials.