Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about some drywall work >

Question about some drywall work

Question about some drywall work

Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Maybe someone knows something about this. You're the biggest audience I have for this question.

We're having a closet framed in a bedroom that currently has no closet. (I know. Weird. But if there's no closet, it's not a bedroom; and therefore, property taxes are lower.) Anyway . . . a guy was just out and said they would frame directly over the existing wall-to-wall carpet by putting down a steel track and then bolting it down to the foundation. Then, if we ever want to replace the carpet, they just cut the carpet right next to the wall. I guess I can't think of a reason not to do it that way, and it beats ripping up the carpet and replacing it right now. I just wonder if anyone has ever heard of this and whether you can foresee any problem with doing it that way. (My DH hasn't weighed in on this yet.)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I've seen it done that way. I've done renovations in my various homes in the past. I would not do it that way. The carpet does not have to be ripped up and replaced. The part that will be covered by the wall can be cut out. Then carpet tack needs to be placed next to the wall and then tightened to it. HTH
Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Depending on the flooring under the carpet. I would have the carpet taken out of the closet area first. That way if you do decide to change the carpet in the room later on you don't have to worry about the carpet in the closet. Just make that hard wood or whatever.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Need to know what type of floor under the carpet, concrete or wood ? Either way if metal studs are used the track has to be anchored to the floor, same as the wood. its been awhile since ive done residental work. but im sure the carpet cuts back. 2x4 or track anchored to the floor. the studs then sheetrock after the walls/closet if there is base board it needs to be installed to hold the carpet down or new tack strips need to be installed to hold the carpet down,
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM

My gf house is old and no closets in whole house! So old old owners had to put in bathroom! Good luck! Sounds like u got good advice!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by gunny148
Need to know what type of floor under the carpet, concrete or wood ? Either way if metal studs are used the track has to be anchored to the floor, same as the wood. its been awhile since ive done residental work. but im sure the carpet cuts back. 2x4 or track anchored to the floor. the studs then sheetrock after the walls/closet if there is base board it needs to be installed to hold the carpet down or new tack strips need to be installed to hold the carpet down,
There is a concrete slab under the carpet. The guy who gave me the quote isn't the one who will actually do the framing, which makes me wonder if the other guy will do it differently.

P.S. Gunny: My dad was a US Marine. I trust Marines.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Really, taxes are higher if it isn't a bedroom? That's a new one on me. I know in Germany and other European states if THERE IS a closet they are taxed higher because a closet is considered a room. We've lived all over and purchased many homes and never did this come up at any time. That's assuming you live in the USA.

Funny how different things are in different places.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Really, taxes are higher if it isn't a bedroom? That's a new one on me. I know in Germany and other European states if THERE IS a closet they are taxed higher because a closet is considered a room. We've lived all over and purchased many homes and never did this come up at any time. That's assuming you live in the USA.

Funny how different things are in different places.
No, read my post again. Taxes are LOWER if it's not a bedroom. If it doesn't have a closet, it doesn't count as a bedroom. When we bought this place, there was no door on the stall shower either. No door means it's a half bath instead of a full bath. Another way to lower property taxes.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM

I agree w/ Quiltin'Nan... the way they're suggesting is the cheap way... you'll be sorry later if you don't do it the correct way.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM

It sounds like a shortcut to me...why not google "howto"?