Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM

What is it about fabric?

I've been quilting for a little over a year now. And after my last quilt I started to organize my fabric.....YIKES!!

How many times can you say...OHHH I remember that KIT I forgot I had that!

Or...That's RIGHT I got this cute baby flannel for the next time I needed to make a baby quilt. (I've done 4 since getting that fabric)

I have jelly rolls galore and then 1/4 yard of fabric just cause I thought they were fun.

So after going through EVERY tub I'm embarrased to say there really wasn't alot of scraps.....most were KITS.....fabric, plus the backing I bought after getting the kit and the patterns....KITS....many are queen sized....those aren't cheap.

I realize it will be hard to quilt cold turkey but unless there is a project I'm doing for someone that I HAVE to get done and they pick a specific fabric, I really need to use what I have.

I mean I know we kid about it alot, but there's hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars in my sewing room. Granted they are all now organized with a digital picture of the kit taped to the front of the projects bag. But it's an entire kitchen island full, several plastic tubs, and a shelf stacked with jelly rolls (did I mention I've only ever done 1 quilt with a jelly roll)

WHY are we so obsessed with this stuff?!?!?! I was actually slighty horrified that I couldn't even REMEMBER buying some of these kits.

So we'll see how long I can stay on the non-fabric purchasing wagon....cause it's OUT OF CONTROL! I think Discover needs to have a new show.....Quilting - INTERVENTION! Cause I think I would be a candidate.

P.S. I forgot to mention I found 3 kits in the little secret cubby in the trunk of my RAV4......THREE.....I was too ashamed to bring them in the house. :P
Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned

i know what you mean. I'm doing the same thing. However, your stash pales compared to mine..... How's that for "one-upman-ship".
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

That's called "shopping your stash"... LOL. Old becomes new and interesting again. I haven't been quilting that long, but have a huge stash of knitting yarns I've forgotten about. Every once in a while I go through it and think of new things I can do with it. It's like I've never seen it before!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 AM

You are not alone :-)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Welcome Michael - you have found a home amongst us other hoarders.

May you enjoy your new extended family and be ready for the increase in your UFO's. I have found, since joining this board,I am forever wanting to try a new thing. Off to the store I go and off to the closet the material goes, for that someday when I have time to do it.......
Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Welcome to the club! :-) On the bright side, now that you have seen the error of your ways, you will maybe use it or donate it.

I was also shocked to see just how much fabric that I had stuffed into plastic totes. I emptied all of them out and stacked all of my fabric on shelfs. Just being able to see what I have available, makes it easier to use from my stash and avoid spending so much. The downside of that is that when DH seen it how much I had, he though I didn't look like enough and he encouraged me to go get some more blenders to round out my collections. ;)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:54 AM

A while back I posted pictures of "my quilting nook". I am horrified to say those 6 little bins contain over 100 yds of fabric on boards and over 200 fat qtrs. That is merely a drop in the bucket to the 6 large plastic containers I have in the closet. Where and when did it all show up. Much came from my mother and grandmother when they passed and then friends but I must take credit for a goodly amount. I confess, I am a fabric hoarder but I do make 12-14 quilts a year and use lots of my stash.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 AM

:lol: :lol: love the quilts on your blog.....have you finished your childhood blankie?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 AM

Welcome to my world.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

OK Mike, weren't you just asking, like 2 or 3 days ago about the names of quilt shops for you to visit on your road trip? Just wondering...