Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Support families of deployed service members >

Support families of deployed service members

Support families of deployed service members

Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM

I know what you are going through, my first husband was AF and in another country when I had our second child. I did have other AF friends around me and they helped a lot, but having him home was my greatest wish.
Go on and cry, it'll get the stress out of you. And do let friends help you, thank them in any way, make them pies or cookies, or take care of their kids so they could have a date night. They know what you are going through.
Tomorrow will be better.
Don't let your Mom get you down, she probably didn't know anything else to tell you, but she's probably hurting for you.
Tell us how you are doing, we all care and lots have been in your shoes.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM

just want to say hi. my husband is now retired after 21 and 1/2 years in the military. every year he had to be out to sea 6 months at a time.always during the holidays of course. during that time everything seems to need to fall apart. but i would like for you to know that everything will be back to being fixed and done by the time he does get home.that is just how us military wifes roll and it seems to work out that way. just remember you have a important part to play cause our husbands depend on us to carry on keeping the home together so they can concentrate on what they do so they can come home safely. i know it is hard at times and a good cry now and then is nothing bad we all have been there it is better than bottleing it up cause it does hurt sometime more than others and needs to be let out. your mom probally just doesn't get it, like so many. my dad came to me 2 weeks after my husband deployed and told me that now that he got remarried nothing existed before them and that included me that was in 1992. but i had my boys and we made it. your son and you have each other and you will make honest. i hope your 6 months goes fast for you and your husband returns safe.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Been there done that! Just hang in there. deployments suck. Don't let your mom get you down. Unless she has had a spouse that has deployed she just DOESN'T get it. Us army (military) wives have our own special club and it just sucks sometimes! No matter what others say, if they haven't lived it they just don't understand how truly hard it is. Today is over and tomorrow is a new day. And one day closer to hubby coming home! Before you know it, it will be time to make those "Welcome Home" signs!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
Ahhh, I feel so awful for you. I dont know what it is like to have your hubby so far away, but I will tell you that I am so grateful for what all deployed military families endure while their spouses are gone and this is a great example. I would like to thank YOU from the bottom of my heart. Words cannot express how proud I am to be an American and how much I appreciate your sacrifice. Feel free to PM me anytime. I will listen :) HANG IN THERE! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

"Ditto" God Bless!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 PM

I sometimes think the wife/family have it harder than the
one that is gone. But, I haven't "been in those shoes".
Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 PM

{{{Hugs}}} It's okay to cry, Misty. And Lord knows you certainly deserve a good cry. My husband was in the military for 20 years, so I know how it feels. Hang in there, sweetie. Reach out to anyone who can give you support.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 PM

to all the military spouses out there active or retired anyone that is there or was there:

WHEN GOD CREATED........A MILITARY SPOUSE
When the good lord was creating spouses, he was in his sixth day of overtime. An angel appeared and said, "You're having a lot of trouble with this one. What is wrong with the standard model?"

And the lord replied, "Have you seen the specs on this order? He or she has to be completely independent, but must be sponsored to get on base;have the qualities of both father and mother during cruises;be a perfect host or hostess to 4 or 40; run on black coffee;handle emergenies without a NATOPS manual;be able to handle the flu, birthdays and moves around the world; have a kiss that can cure anything from a childs torn valentine to a wife's or husband's weary day; have the patience of a saint when waiting for the ship to sail home; and have 6 pairs of hands."

The Angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands--No way!"

And the lord answered, "Don't worry we will make other military spouses to help. Besides it's not the hands that are causing the problem, it's the heart. It must swell with pride for the spouse, sustain the ache of separations, beat on soundly when to tired to do so, and be large enough to say, I understand when he or she doesn't and say I love you regardless."

"Lord," said the Andel touching his sleeve gently, "Come to bed---Tomorrow!"

"I can't," said the Lord. I'm so close to creating something unique. Already I have one that can heal itself when it is sick, can feed three unexpected guests who are stuck in the area due to bad weather, and can wave good-bye to it's spouse from a pier and understand that it is important to our country that he or she leaves."

The Angel circled the model of the military spouse very slowly. It's too soft she sighed.

"But tough," said the Lord excitedly. "You cannot imagine what this person can do or endure."

"Can it think?"

"Can it thin? It can convert 1400 to 2 p.m."

Finally the angel bent over and ran her fingers across the cheek. "There's a leak," she pronounced. I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model."

"It'a not a leak," said the lord. "It's a tear."

Whar is it for?"asked the angel. The Lord replied,"It's for joy,sadness, disappointment, pain, loneliness and pride!"
"You are a genius," said the angel. the lord looked somber and replied--- "I didn't put it there."

author unknown
Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Jim

I pray for you and your troubles and for God to protect and bless you husband...he has already blessed him some with a very special wife that can handle things while he is protecting our country. Crying reduces stress and I can understand completely why you were so stressed...blessings to you and your family
Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM

Sorry for the stress and lonelyness you are feeling and thanks for the reminder for a little kindness. We never know what another person is dealing with.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Power Poster

I'm sorry that you have to deal with the stress of being a military spouse (and mom) with your love on deployment. It sounds like you needed a good cry (or a couple of them).

I think I know what will make you feel a little better. Go to your Round Robin thread and take a peak at page 24. Your center is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Hugs from CA and keep the faith.