Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here familiar with Traverse City, Michigan?? >

Anyone here familiar with Traverse City, Michigan??

Anyone here familiar with Traverse City, Michigan??

Old 04-18-2011, 03:40 PM

We have a military member being posted to Traverse City, MI who will be looking for housing. Yes, we can see online ads for apartments, etc. but have learned not to always trust those.

We are wondering if anyone here knows what sections of town are the best, etc.

Thanks for your words of wisdom! :)
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

Get a hold of Mark Hagan from Coldwell Banker in Traverse City!

Google him!

Wonderful Realtor.....We have property in TC!

Karen
Old 04-18-2011, 05:26 PM

I'll tell you all what I've told my kids over the years. First, before going with a rental agent, stay at least one night in a motel. Go to the local police department and ASK them what is the best and quietest part of town near schools if you have kids. Ask them what part of town are they called to most often, and where do the druggies hang out. Write all this down.
Then when you go out with the rental agent, write down the addresses of possible homes. Then spend another night there, but go to these places after dusk and after dark and check out what kind of night life they have there. If possible, go on the weekend, starting with Friday night and Saturday night. That's when most people party and fight and most kids swarm around the light posts and fight and scream. Make a not of how people walk home, do they look around them nervously and hustle to their houses, or do they stroll as if they were unafraid even after dusk or dark?
Check to see if there are any bars or dance halls or 7/11s near where you want to live. Trust me, you don't want to live near those, too many travelers hunt for them and a lot of them are robbed with regularity.

But when you find a nice place and then move it, look out for the very FIRST person to cross your doorway. My Grandma told me, my Mother told me, and I told my kids, and we've all found that it's true, the first person to cross your doorway will be the one you will have the most problems with during your stay there. From the one who helps you unpack and asks the cost of this and that, that was my worst neighbor in NM in the late 50s.
I sincerely hope that you and your family are different.. From my experience it's always been that way.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Well, I will comment on that....TC, I have been there lots, lots and lots, of time....Crime is very very mininal, TC is one of the nicest areas, very well kept, you don't see kids hanging around in areas, and etc. Visit some time....You'd be very impressed with this quaint town....Waited yrs to get property there.
From someone who has rented homes there.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM

In addition to what karenchi said, TC is a wonderful place to be & visit. Lots to do and many quilt shops within a reasonable driving distance. Very pretty country! They will love it there! Michiganians are very friendly folk.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Sounds like it's a lot better than the town I live in now.

Sounds like a place it would be nice to live in.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

I have a girlfriend who is from there. It is a "thumbs-up" town!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM

I Agree with you Very nice Place, I have Lived in Harbor Springs Mich been to TC Many times. Very nice Place.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

T.C.===and crime???or bad area???pretty non-existant
there really is not a (ghetto-hood area) there are some area's that are (lower income) but still very nice neighborhoods.
Traverse is a beautiful town with lots to offer- in 50+ years i've never seen (or heard of ) a hooker on the streets- or a neighborhood with drug dealers-
there is of course some of these things going on, just like every other town in america...but prevailant? not in T.C.
i know of much smaller towns around that have much worse reputations- Traverse is not only a great place to visit, but it is also a wonderful place to live.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:09 AM

Very nice place. Hope they like snow.