Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make yourself get a project done? >

How do you make yourself get a project done?

How do you make yourself get a project done?

Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM

My secret to 'finally getting projects accomplished' is this: I start projects on Friday, after the work week and school are done for a few days. I do this because I can stay up as late as I want/need to and usually get a large portion of the project done. I sew until I don't feel like sewing on Saturday. I then put it away until next weekend. And one important thing that I have learned is, 'not to start working on a project, or a portion of a project if I don't feel like sewing.' That is the one thing that helps me. If I don't feel up to sewing i find that I make a lot of little mistakes and don't want to go through taking seams out and sewing them again. If I take seams out I try to re-sew them then, because if I pin it and put it away it's hard to get back to it. Happy sewing.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Tackle it like the old adage says about eating an elephant...one bite at a time! Just think how happy you'll be when it's done & you can give it away to someone who will cherish it because you finished it for them.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I don't know the answer, but I do know that discovering this site a few weeks ago has made the situation worse! I want to read every topic and then usually want to read everything that everyone had to say on the topic. It's crazy but I love this site!
I have to say this is my problem too.. I love this site. and love all the posts. I have told my self I can not get on here unless I have either something done or something to do.. so I use this as my reward.. or I could waste a day on here.
thanks again for a fine forum.. and what a great question.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Great post love all the advise. Just what I needed. :thumbup:
Old 04-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Use computer time as a reward. I have posted only a little lately, but I have finished 6 quilt topics including the one I have nicknamed the Ugly Quilt in the last two weeks.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:40 PM

I agree with the answer from quiltsRfun. I find that if I work for half an hour on my project. And then do a few housework things and then go back to my quilting, I have a tendency to finish. Guess that I must get tired of looking at it. But that technique seems to work for me.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 PM

You'd be amazed how much you can get done in just an hour. Set a timer (the one on your stove or microwave will work fine) and just accomplish ANYTHING at your machine until the timer rings. No breaks for any reason except blood!!!! <wink> Every chore I hate can either be done or get an awful lot done in just an hour.....
Old 04-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Sign up for open sew days at your LQS. It's fun to bring your own project and have time to get to know other quilters. You even get help from the experts, and there's always some good snacks getting passed around. Think of it as a night out!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Vat

I try to do only projects I love.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Gosh, I am glad I am not alone on this one. Too manydistractions .
sass