Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Remind me never to buy brown Kraft paper again >

Remind me never to buy brown Kraft paper again

Remind me never to buy brown Kraft paper again

Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 PM

This Zelda project that's going to be totally awesome when finished just continues to kill off my artistic patience and sanity. I need to let loose here...

Its starting to come together. I got 6 of the 9 the images I want to recreate in the stained glass quilting technique printed out. To enlarge them I had to section the image in 9 paged size sections, print them out, and tape them together.

A while back, I had spotted some paper on a roll in the "kids" craft section at work. I thought that would be perfect for the project. I could create trace the images and make some sort of master template without having to tape together more pieces of paper together. But by the time I got around to buying some, they had changed the mod and you can probably guess what item was not included in the new modular.

I tried seeking out an alternative and came up with wrapping paper and Kraft paper (the brown paper used for packaging purposes). They don't make wrapping paper like they used to. Seems like it used to be you could get like 50ft of it for a couple bucks and you'd be set for a few years, but now the cheap roll gives you just enough to wrap a few gifts at best. So I went with the Kraft paper since I could get a whole lot more for the same price as the wrapping paper.

I brought the stuff home and later tried to attempt to trace my images onto it. Found that the stuff was too thick. I even had my brother bring his light box when he came over to visit and the light couldn't penetrate through the paper!

Luckily my boyfriend is coming up and were going to have a day out in the city together so hopefully when we hit the craft stores I'll find what I originally wanted to get at Wal-Mart. But now I have like 20ft of Kraft paper that I have no idea what to do with. If you got ideas on what to do with it that would be awesome.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 PM

How frustrating! I'm sure you'll find something else.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM

why not use freezer paper or parchment paper?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM

You could use the brown paper to make unique wrapping paper. I have seen this done with brown paper bags. You wouldn't have to cut the bags apart. Just do something artistic with paints, colored pencils or markers and crayons and wrap away. :)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 PM

Maybe you could use it for wrapping paper, and then draw on it. Or just give a gift in a 'plain brown wrapper'.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM

You could give the craft paper to some kids to draw on.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

What a pain....well you could always use the Kraft paper for wrapping presents and tizz it up with stickers/stencils/potato prints. Not sure what thickness butchers paper is in the USA...but if you could get a sheet (free if you smile sweetly) from your local butcher you could do a test run and see how you go with that. It is a good size and cheap.

Aside from that you may be able to find a thin, transparent vilene type material...I know there is a product here which people use to draft dress patterns, they sell it by the metre and it is very cheap.

Good luck and happy quilting.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Power Poster

Cheap gift wrap for the rest of your life?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by grammiepamie
why not use freezer paper or parchment paper?
I did buy freezer paper because I watched a YouTube video on using freezer paper to temporarly attaching fabric pieces in place for stained glass applique. Went to go try and use that, but realized its not wide enough to make a one page template for my 24" images.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:16 AM

My kids have drawing paper that comes on a roll like wrapping paper and it's probably thin enough to see through. We bought it at a store that sells teaching supplies but I've also seen it at a local toy store.