prayer quilts

Old 11-23-2006, 07:05 AM

Hello,
My name is Doris, just been in to quilting a year or so.
My church makes prayer quilts for ill and disbled folks.
It is a wonderful ministry. My church Jerusalem Baptist in Mocksville, NC has dedicated 90 quilts since the
first of this year.
We are a chapter of the nationally known "Prayers and Squares."

Doris
Old 11-23-2006, 05:08 PM

WHAT A WONDERFUL TASK!! I HAVE A SON IN AFGHANISTAN, AND THERE ARE SITES ON LINE WHERE PEOPLE CAN MAKE THE SOLDIERS QUILTS, AS WELL! WOULDN'T THAT IDEA OF YOURS MAKE A WONDERFUL QUILT FOR THEM? I HAVE MADE MY SON A BEAUTIFUL PROJECT FOR THIS WINTER THERE, HE LOVED IT! KEEP UP THE WONDERFUL WORK!! HOPE WE CAN COMMUNICATE SOME TIME! NANCY
[email protected]
Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 AM

Doris....those prayer quilts are a great idea. Can you give any more info on them such as size, etc? The women in my church knit and/or crochet prayer shawls. I have been making "preemie" blankets for the neonatal unit in one of our local hospitals. There is a big demand for those also as some of these babies are so tiny. I was crocheting the blankets until tendonitis set into my shoulder and elbow and then I decided to make some simple quilted ones. It was much easier, took less time, and was another way to use up small pieces of fabric I had left. The blankets are 15"X18".

Judyjo

Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 AM

Hi to both of you.

I would like some info on those preemie blankets too, if you could send some along. I was making quilts for battered women shelter, childrens hospital. I am still making haven't delivered yet. I have about 5 done, and ready to take. But it would be great to make those preemie blankets, so would need materials size etc. They have to be super soft don't they? See I don't even know. Anyway any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rita
Old 11-25-2006, 09:21 AM

As for the "Preemie Blankets"....they should be about 15"X18". They can be crocheted or knitted with sport yarn using any afgan pattern you might have. As for quilting...I think anything goes. I have just finished two made with Christmas fabrics. Two pieces sewn together with batting envelope style. I turned them, topstitched around the edges and tied them. They are real cute! Flannel is very nice and so is fleece. If you use both fleece and flannel I don't think you need batting. They are so small you don't want them to be very thick. I also have made some very simple patchwork quilts using leftover children's fabric. I think I did 5 - 3" blocks across and 6 - 3" blocks going down. I bound these and tied them in the center of every other block. You can really have fun with these!

Judyjo
Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM

I belong to Prayers and Squares Chapter 347 in Murrietta, CA. Before moving here I was in Chapter 301 in Escondido, CA. I have taken many classes from the lady that started Prayers and Squares. It is an awesome ministry. We also make the small patriotic squares for the soldiers to wear in their helmets. Each knot tied in the square (or quilt) is a prayer said for the safety, healing, guidance, etc of the recipient. We do also make prayer pockets which are little pillows about 3-4" square with a pocket sewn in them for prayer requests. I am happy to share what I know about it if you are still interested. :-)
Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 AM

Hello,
I have only been quilting for a few years, but would love to know more about the prayer quilts.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 AM

I would love to learn more about these projects also. It would be a blessing to spread love to others from something that I enjoy doing so much. I have 6 baby afghans just waiting for a baby that could use a warm cuddle. Haven't really known where to send them. You've given me some good ideas.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 AM

If you want to get more information on the Prayers and Squares organization, go to www.prayerquilt.org to find the info. You do not have to belong to a church to be a part of it, it is just where most of the groups originate and meet. If you can't find a local group, just e-mail me and I will provide you with the location of a group in your area if there is one.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:06 AM

thank you so much. I will check it out. I do belong to a church so I will see what I can do!