Multiple Sclerosis

Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 AM

Hi, Just wondering what does anyone personally know about the causes of MS. Is stress the greatest factor, or is it a factor at all?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

Well, I googled it and this is the web site I looked at.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

"While the cause (etiology) of MS is still not known, scientists believe that a combination of several factors may be involved. Studies are ongoing in the areas of immunology (the science of the body’s immune system), epidemiology (that looks at patterns of disease in the population), and genetics in an effort to answer this important question. Understanding what causes MS will be an important step toward finding more effective ways to treat it and—ultimately—cure it, or even prevent it from occurring in the first place."
Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 AM
Banned

I know stress made my mother's MS worse. Also the heat and humidity seemed to tire her out more.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 AM

I have MS and I can say the worst part of it is the heat and humidity. When I get really fatigued I listen to my body and if I have to take a day off from work just to sleep it benefits me. Also I stay away from sugars and carbs and starches it seems to slow me down. I've had MS for the last 8 yrs and take an injection every night. I have a full-time job that requires me to be outside in the Florida sun but I always have cold water and the work vehicle is always on a/c!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:37 AM

I don't know the causes but wish you luck. Having any disease that slows you down or hampers your body is a real pain. Prayers coming your way
Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 AM

I have MS. The cause is unknown that is why there is no known cure or treatment. Many drugs are used to "treat" it, but most cost $1,000.00 a month or more. You are sick and can't work but it is assumed you can pay that price for the drugs! I started one of these drugs with health insurance paying most of the cost, but after 12 months they stopped payments. They told my case manager I should either be cured or dead after 12 months of treatment!!! Shows their ignorance! Lots of money goes for research but nothing has come of it. I don't know if anyone can prove stress CAUSES it but it makes it worse. Good luck!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM

My daughter's DH has MS and it's getting a little worse each year.
I'm told he was born way too early, got a bad start in life but he refused to admit for many years that he was handicapped. Held down a demanding security job till his body forced him to quit.
He was delighted to get my own DH's electric wheel chair so he can visit his mother across the street while my DD is at work.

No one has been able to tell him what caused it or what will cure it or what might even help, besides a good diet.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

the rate of MS is very high in Colorado for some reason.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM

I do have MS. Stress is not a causative factor, but it certainly does make the symptoms intensify.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM

I do not know the cause. I myself have M.S., I was diagnosed in 2002 but had it 7years befor that. The doctors here in my area did NOT catch it. I do know stress is a big NO NO. The heat kills me along with the humidity. I have been on every ABC, R drug and tysabri infusions. Now I am on the pill form, GILENYA. Woo Hoo, it is so nice not getting shots! There are 5 of us 1st cousins that have it. It runs on both sides of my family. I just say LORD, give it to e and NOT my kids nor grandaughter. God gave me broad shoulders, now I know why! Thank god I can still walk, just not too far. Things could ALWAYS be worse!