Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space >

Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space

Looking for more ideas for sewing in a small space

Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

My sister is a Canadian Snowbird ... and we had this discussion recently. She sews here as well as when in Florida.

Plastic tubs that she can tuck away out of sight have been her friends! She doesn't keep a huge stash.

And somewhat reprimanded me about my UFOs and PhDs (gggrrrrrr sisters!!!!... she doesn't have the space to have a full complement of them, so tends to do one project and finish it before moving on!

Oh what a bore that'd be! :)

Good for you for thinking ahead ... this way you can look for things that will work, and max our your more minimal space to the best!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Look at a post from the last couple of days about making a small ironing board out of TV tables. It would fold flat when not in use--a great space saver. Think mini-iron. Plan on a good lamp or near a window, so lighting isn't a problem wherever you end up.

Sue
Old 05-17-2011, 02:14 PM

my snowbird girlfriend took over the garage and she is very happy
Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 PM

We are planning to become 3/4 time RVers this summer. I've already begun to fill the RV with the things I'll need to continue quilting while traveling. I made a list of everything I use on a regular basis while sewing and quilting, then I removed all of those that I have duplicates of and placed them in the RV. Now I have a list to work from that I can take with me when I shop or as I stop at quilt shops, I can pick up those things that I still need in the RV.

I've also packed up kits from my stash and include the patterns, thread, etc. that I'll need to complete each project. I've saved room to store any new fabrics I may buy on the road as well. I have designated the under-bed space as my sewing storage area. I have plenty of closets for everything else that I need in the camper so this space was a bonus area which worked out perfectly. Since I am storing everything as kits with everything I need for a project in each tub I don't really need any of the traditional methods for storing things other than sewing notions and even they fit mostly inside a storage bin. I store my cutting mat under the mattress and my long rulers as well.

The only thing I am debating about is whether I will be bringing my LA with me or not. I do have enough space that I can remove my sleeper sofa and place my LA frame in it's place, I am carrying a PVC quilting frame with me however so I may just decide to leave my LA at home and just plan to finish all my quilts during the winter when I'm at home. It's still up in the air though as I KNOW I'll end up wanting to finish one up in a hurry and don't really love FMQ on my standard machine. We do have a set of comfy chairs as well as the sofa so the sofa will probably not be missed if we decide to leave it at home.

I use my dinning table for sewing on and do my cutting on the counter top and my ironing on the cover of the stove with a towel laid down over it. That way I don't have much to move when we need to clean up after a meal. We do most of our cooking outside though instead of in the RV.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 PM

You've all been a big help. I suggested to DH that we get beds with drawers under them. I'm thinking of a little corner hutch for more storage in the guest room. I'd love to splurge and get a vanishing design wall when the time comes. Already have two featherweights so one can go and one can stay. My retirement gift for myself will probably be a sewing machine with a bigger throat - hopefully there will be more options for these in four years.

It seems silly but I really don't want what I have now which is a very cluttered sewing room. I'd like a tranquil space where everything can be tucked away out of sight. Maybe that's because it's much smaller than what we are used to.

Quilt shops are nearby so I won't have to collect a lot of stash. Hard habit to break, I'm afraid.

Any more ideas? Keep them coming!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM

We own a motorhome but won't be snowbirds EVER. My husband can't tow the garage! HA
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM

One friend makes kits while she is their 'regular' home so that when she is a snowbird she can do hand piecing. She love it because she can sew while he drives and it is so portable. She also hand quilts while on hiatus. She machine quilts when she is home in the winter.

Remember this is Arizona. We go North in summer for our respite and live the other 8+ months down here.

ali
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 AM

My sewing room is 11x10 plus a closet..the closet is totally full of fabric, I have a large cabinet on one wall that is full of more fabric, magazines, buttons (I have a large button collection) some craft supplies, and more. I use the space under my sewing table for more storage in plastic totes, have another shelf in room full of projects in progress, and rolling cart full of sewing supplies. Also a cutting table, again with storage below(mostly patterns). I have to admit that I do also have a room upstairs with more quilt supplies. I have way more than I will ever use, and am trying to sort out and let go of what I know I will not use. Definitely not a one project at a time person, and have a stash to last a few lifetimes at least.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 AM

I had to down scale when we moved when my husband was waiting for a liver transplant and I was sewing window treatments and do embroidery then. I found a wall in my bedroom and purchased two tower cabinets with doors on front from walmart, Put on on each side of the wall. 2 short file cabinets and placed wood over top. This made a wall console in a small section on the side of my bedroom. I stored all my equipment in the cabinets and I made a fold up thin plywood work center covered in lining and would pull it out each day and store at night. I had places to store under bed also. It worked great. I sewed everything on my Baby Lock sewing machine . Now i sew with industrial machines and i moved out into the garage, added an inexpensive wall air conditioner and heater, insultated the outside walls and door. It was a budget job but works great. Good Luck it can be done and can be done in a decorative setting also and look great too.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 AM

cjomomma....you are so organized for the space that you have!!!