Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rulers & templates for use with longarms >

rulers & templates for use with longarms

rulers & templates for use with longarms

Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Those of you who have longarms are there any "tools" you highly recommend to use with your longarm? Is there something special I need to look for. So many templates and different rulers to choose from I'm lost. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 PM

start with a Line Tamer for stitch in the ditch and see if you like doing ruler work before you invest money in rulers.

rulers are very expensive plus the cost of the ruler base and many people do not enjoy doing it.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM

The other ruler tool I like and use alot has a couple of different size curves on each of the four sides. It goes by different names depending on the manufactuer. I think versa tool is one name it goes by.
I also purchased a curved on to make spines with, again there a number of different ones.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

I've just started using rulers with the longarm. So far just an old regular straight ruler template to get the feel for it.

www.quiltersrule.com has a whole line of rulers. I'm not affiliated with them, just heard a lot about them.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

I would highly recommend that any ruler or template that you get for your longarm please be sure to get the 1/4" thick ones. It is as much for your safety as it is for accuracy.

Thanks and good luck,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Power Poster

I would practice first with any straight-edge longarm ruler, to see if you really need the special rulers for SID, cross-hatch, etc. I'm struggling with the same problem, not knowing whether to buy a set of circles, for instance.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 AM

I've been longarming for quite some time now. Knowing what I know now, I'd recommend a set of circles and a good straight edge. This will get you started and there's almost nothing you can't do with these tools. There are other tools you may like as you get further into quilting, speciality templates/rulers, etc., but they aren't necessary in the beginning for sure. The circles can be used for anything not-straight, and the straight edge (preferably about 8-12" ) for everything else. Then you can see if you need more, or not. Unless you're going to do only freehand (with no outlining/SID) or only pantos, you will use these tools, so they won't be wasted money. On the circles, I find the solid circles easier to use than the rings without the centers - they tend to pop up and are harder to get hand placement correct...although you can learn how :)

Anyway, just my thoughts...and have fun!
Debbie in Austin
Old 05-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
I would highly recommend that any ruler or template that you get for your longarm please be sure to get the 1/4" thick ones. It is as much for your safety as it is for accuracy.

Thanks and good luck,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Be advised, there are some older machines which require an even thicker 3/8" thick ruler. I'm not sure, which machines they are. But I saw it on one of the ruler web sites, possibly Gadget Girls. Just something to keep in mind, when shopping for rulers.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 AM

gotta love the Gadget Girls...no affiliation but great rulers. Remember, HQ16 and maybe other midarms use 1/4" rulers and long-arms use 3/8". Workign with a ruler can be slower than expected (at least, my expectations! LOL) but I have found I really like using them. I've bought a bunch and use the straight (3x12) a lot as well as a smaller one with a notch for the hopping foot to control around applique. I also like the circular rulers as there is a lot that can be done with them.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I buy most of my rulers from the Gadget Girls. Different size circles, clamshells, ropes, straight and curves are great for just about everything.

dgmoby has very good advice!