how to clean a dishwasher?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 AM

I didn't realize that my filters were clogged & not draining properly until things were really nasty. I cleared out the filters & ran white vinegar through the dishwasher several times & use it for the rinse cycle.

However, the dishwasher racks don't seem to be getting clean & still have quite a bit gunk on them. I used something called "Lemi-shine" but it's not cleaning stuff out.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that will get the gunk off?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:21 AM

I've heard that if you throw the contents of a small bottle of Tang in and run the cycle through, it will clean it.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Tang? like the drink?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Shoot, I buy a on sale dishwasher and use if for year or so and get another one. DH can pop one out and a new one in with his eyes closed. To clean out/replace the discharge hose the dishwasher has to be pulled out anyway. I find a dishwasher on a super clearance buy usually at Lowes or Sears and buy it. The last one cost me $225, stainless. It had a scratch on the front which didn't bother me at all. A magnet will cover it up. It is a Bosch super quiet. Best one so far.

Forgot to say I'm not one that will wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. My neighbor will wash her dishes before putting them in. :shock: Cascade Complete is the best detergent I've fond that will remove dried on gunk from dishes. Use the premeasured tabs. Too much detergent will leave the white film you see on dishware and will etch the glass. Never fill both compartments, just the last one to open. The newer washers have self adjusting amounts to discharge, you put in enough detergent to last for a few months. My DD has one like that and she says it works great.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

This website seems to offer thorough cleaning instructions:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-and-Maintain-a-Dishwasher
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 AM

Could you try putting them in a big garbage bag stand up in tub or laundry sink and add a cup of ammonia? Seal bag and let sit over night.
When you are going to open bag....MAKE SURE YOUR FACE IS NOT OVER THE BAG>>>the direct fumes could make you pass out. Pour ammonia down drain and rinse racks.
This is the way that I do my oven racks and the grid from top of stove.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 AM

You could try spraying the racks (empty, of course) with one of those super shower cleaners that you spray on and it dissolves the soap scum. Spray well and close the dishwasher. Let it sit for awhile, then run the dishwasher (empty, again) using a packet of lemonade Kool-aid or Tang. I wouldn't add any vinegar just yet because it might react to the cleaner.

If you don't want to use the cleaner, heat some vinegar and spray the racks with the warm vinegar. Then let sit and run the wash again with the lemon kool-aid or Tang.

Good luck. :)
Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM

I've been known to spray my with a bleach cleaning solution, allow to set for a bit , then rinse on HOT...
I also periodically use a cup of TANG.. yes, the drink stuff...
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Question??? Do you think the Tang could be the store brand? and we are putting it in dry, right?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Just Tang - brand name only?

BellaBoo - I do NOT have the option of buying a new dishwasher. The one I currently have is working fine; it just needs to have the racks cleaned.