Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who can tell me about "polished cotton"? >

Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

I noticed I am getting quite a stash of polished cotton and I really don't know how it fits into the world of quilts. Is it used the same as other cottons? Would I mix and mingle or use all polished cotton in one quilt? Is it not for quilting at all?
I'd appreciate all the information I can get before I start using it. I have some really pretty fabrics in florals and stripes but I am just not sure how to use them.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM

I'll be watching because I don't know what polished cotton is!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

it's a finishing process that puts a sheen on the fabric. Often it's a bit heavier than quilting cotton, and is used in home dec. As long as the weight is similar to the rest of your quilt fabrics, I'd go ahead and use it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 PM

OH! I think I just got a lot of that at a yard sale. I'm going to use it for bags.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Polished is cotton is chintz. It can be either 100% cotton or usually a Cotton/Poly Blend. It has a glaze finished on it to give it that polished look. The only problem with using it for quilting is that it's really not washable. After a few washings that polished look will dim. It not very good for upholstery since that glaze will also wear off do to use.

Happy Scissoring,

Scissorman USA
Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM

I've used chintz type fabrics in quilts, and although the glaze does wear off eventually with repeated washings, I've never had any problems. Its just a different finish on the cotton. Go ahead, if you like the fabric, use it!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scissorman
Polished is cotton is chintz. It can be either 100% cotton or usually a Cotton/Poly Blend. It has a glaze finished on it to give it that polished look. The only problem with using it for quilting is that it's really not washable. After a few washings that polished look will dim. It not very good for upholstery since that glaze will also wear off do to use.

Happy Scissoring,

Scissorman USA
I a m confused - polished cotton is chintz? I thought Chintz was an overall little flower pattern. Guess I will google that one.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM

You're thinking of a chintz print. Converters print on various type of base cloths. They use sateens, ducks, and chintz. Chintz's popularity has really declined because it's finish is so fragile.

FYI - I been in the textile business for thirty years!

Happy Scissoring,

Scissorman
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lily Pad
You're thinking of a chintz print. Converters print on various type of base cloths. They use sateens, ducks, and chintz. Chintz's popularity has really declined because it's finish is so fragile.

FYI - I been in the textile business for thirty years!

Happy Scissoring,

Scissorman
Thanks - I was in the antique business - to me Chintz was English dinnerware pattern and then I remembered the fabric pattern...so now I know it is a chintzy fabric too!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM

So if I love the print, I could wash the glaze off first then use it in my quilts with no problem? They say 100% cotton and feel mostly soft to touch rather than stiff and icky.