Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG Problems. Suggestions? >

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
Okay, now that I am back from getting my van fixed, maybe a better explanation on the basting.

I push the needle tip through a layer of fabric, hex, layer of fabric, all from the "bottom" and then through the fabric, hex, fabric from the "top" to the bottom all in one motion and then pull on the needle to pull the thread all the way through. I am only using one layer of card hex but because of the "U" motion the thread and needle end up going through four layers of fabric and two layers of hex. I just took pictures of how the needle goes and then I pull the needle through.
Now I understand what your doing. I go through the cardstock however I fold my edges over, like you do and stick the needle through and pull it through the front then stick it back through and pull it to the back. I don't do it all in one stitch. does that make sense? I stitch it as if I was putting a button on.

If you always start on the front and end on the front it makes it much easier to remove your basting stitch!

I fully understand that you are "SUPPOSED" to baste on the back only but thats now how I do it. I find it MUCH easier to do it MY way.

To the OP if you choose to switch up your method and decide not to go through the card stock there are several tutes online showing that method! :)

fold over stick needle from front to back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203120[/ATTACH]

stick needle back to front on the OTHER side of the fold
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203121[/ATTACH]

back of hexie after basteing is done
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203122[/ATTACH]

front of hexie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203123[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203114.jpe   attachment-203115.jpe   attachment-203116.jpe   attachment-203117.jpe  
Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 PM

I am showing a picture of mine also...I basted closer to edge and trimmed extra fabric as I went...makes quilting easier later. I didn't go through cardstock at two spots at same time, like you...just in and out. Your progress looks great!!

Basted Hexi
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203141[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203135.jpe  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 PM

Don't go thru the card stock at all. There is a tut here showing you how to just stitch each corner then you don't have to take the basting out either.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 AM

I do the English/Japanese method of quilt as you go by making little hexagons of wadding/batting instead of card stock. I fully enclose each hexagon as a mini - quilt by itself. After I have enough small little enclosed units, I top stitch them together by hand and my quilt is finished.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 AM

I am sorry for you, never mind experience make a fool wise. I am sure it will end up beautifully.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:44 AM

You don't have to pierce the paper, if you don't pierce you don't have to take out your basting.
That said, I do pierce the paper, but I just print mine on regular paper if I am doing a lot fo them. If you don't pierce the paper you can re-use your templates several times.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 AM

I poke through paper & still reuse several times. I have to throw it away cause it gets to soft from bending to sew pieces together. In fact, after multiple uses the hexis are easier to sew threw cause the holes are already there... My next one though, I bought the glue stick :-)
Old 05-28-2011, 04:58 AM

Very pretty! It's nice to have a project for 'sitting around time.' Will you post a picture when you are finished with it, or at least when you have more work done on it?

:D :thumbup:
Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
I completely solved this problem by buying stamps for the hexes from Stamps by Kate. I use brown ink on the light fabrics and white on the dark. It stamps out a sewing line and a cutting line. Presto. Just sew on the sewing line, no basting, no paper to later remove, just cut and sew.
I saw this stamp advertised and have been thinking about buying it. I looked at the video and it made sense to me. Do you machine or hand sew your hexes together?
Kathy
Old 05-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I do the English/Japanese method of quilt as you go by making little hexagons of wadding/batting instead of card stock. I fully enclose each hexagon as a mini - quilt by itself. After I have enough small little enclosed units, I top stitch them together by hand and my quilt is finished.
Good morning jitkaau. This method sounds interesting. Do you know of a tute? Or could you explain the process? Would like to see a photo. Thanks in advance.