Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Paula Deen >

Paula Deen

Paula Deen

Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM

Like some of you, I, too, have been getting tired of Paula. She's beginning to sound insincere and fakey to me. Although it has nothing to do with her recipes/cooking, and I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, I also don't like her make-up. Sometimes she looks like a clown. He eye shadow is way to intense, her false eyelashes are just too much. I think she looks unnatural - white wild hair and black-painted eyes. If you ever get to see some of her earlier shows at the beginning, her hair was always styled nicely, she hardly wore any makeup at all, certainly not that dark/bright eye makeup, and in my opinion, looked much more natural like a normal person. I also thought her behavior and general demeanor was much more believable then. I think her fame has something to do with all this, and it's a shame - none of the other female chefs are so painted up.

Also, I have been questioning her accent for quite some time, now. It seems to have become more pronounced over the years, and is much stronger than any other Southern people I have heard. Another thing, she raised 2 boys. How come they don't have the same accent she does? Usually children attain the same accents as their parents and other people in their environment. Seems really strange to me that she is so different. I think she puts it on in an effort to impress -- who?

One more thing - she mispronounces so many words - doesn't anyone on the set, producers, directors, etc. think to ever correct her? Even her own son told her during one show that it is a spatula, not "spatchler". She always says "confectionate" sugar. I've never heard anyone say "oil" like she does. It's just not cute anymore.

As for her food, most of what I've tried has been good, but that hasn't been too often simply because it doesn't appeal to me, or I think my own recipe is better, or I can't afford it - seafood, in particular.

However, she worked herself up from nothing and I do give her loads of credit for that. She worked hard to get where she is, she is a multi-millionaire, and I am - - -not!

OK, haven't said that, I'm stepping down from my soap box now.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Like some of you, I, too, have been getting tired of Paula. She's beginning to sound insincere and fakey to me. Although it has nothing to do with her recipes/cooking, and I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, I also don't like her make-up. Sometimes she looks like a clown. He eye shadow is way to intense, her false eyelashes are just too much. I think she looks unnatural - white wild hair and black-painted eyes. If you ever get to see some of her earlier shows at the beginning, her hair was always styled nicely, she hardly wore any makeup at all, certainly not that dark/bright eye makeup, and in my opinion, looked much more natural like a normal person. I also thought her behavior and general demeanor was much more believable then. I think her fame has something to do with all this, and it's a shame - none of the other female chefs are so painted up.

Also, I have been questioning her accent for quite some time, now. It seems to have become more pronounced over the years, and is much stronger than any other Southern people I have heard. Another thing, she raised 2 boys. How come they don't have the same accent she does? Usually children attain the same accents as their parents and other people in their environment. Seems really strange to me that she is so different. I think she puts it on in an effort to impress -- who?

One more thing - she mispronounces so many words - doesn't anyone on the set, producers, directors, etc. think to ever correct her? Even her own son told her during one show that it is a spatula, not "spatchler". She always says "confectionate" sugar. I've never heard anyone say "oil" like she does. It's just not cute anymore.

As for her food, most of what I've tried has been good, but that hasn't been too often simply because it doesn't appeal to me, or I think my own recipe is better, or I can't afford it - seafood, in particular.

However, she worked herself up from nothing and I do give her loads of credit for that. She worked hard to get where she is, she is a multi-millionaire, and I am - - -not!

OK, haven't said that, I'm stepping down from my soap box now.
Couldn't have said it better my self. Amen sister. :thumbup: