Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Which project did you get excited about but then never finished? >

Which project did you get excited about but then never finished?

Which project did you get excited about but then never finished?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM

I was so excited about making purses like everyone else seemed to be doing. They were so pretty and looked like fun.
So I bought a few patterns, cut out the fabrics, started to sew, but then for some reason my interest evaporated. Never finished it. Probably never will. Don't know why, the pattern wasn't giving me any trouble.
I also was gung ho on making a sampler quilt. That'll never be finished either.

What about you?
What have you tried, found it boring and then never finished?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm maybe the same ones as you bags, sampler quilts, matching shams and foundation papaer piecing.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 AM

LOL,LOL,LOL, All of them (for the most part) my UFO pile is TALL.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Mine is a Kim Diehl applique quilt that I took a class on. Bought all of the fabrics, the book, etc.......only to discover that despite loving the look of the quilt, applique is NOT my thing.....it'll more than likely never be completed. :(
Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

i made my first quilts back in the mid 70's but did not continue quilting- made them when i was having a baby- or a friend- but then went 20+ years not making any---
have a friend who has been an avid quilter for 25+ years-she was constantly telling me...you should do this- you would love it!...
well i would go to the library and look at a quilting book...and see something like...*(cut 810 2" squares)
i would put that book back and walk away!
this is not going to happen in this lifetime...
then about 8 or 9 years ago- browsing on line i came across a little shop in Arizona...that had the most beautiful quilt i'd ever seen- as a BOM...i had no idea what a bom was- or anything about anything beyond my embroidering the alphabet on squares and sewing them together--
i read about it- and decided to participate.
I LOVE THE FABRICS, I LOVE THE BLOCKS, I LOVE THE QUILT IT'S SUPPOSED TO MAKE! by the time i had received and put together the 3rd block i was hooked- and off taking classes and going (quilt crazy!)
i did make all 12 blocks= i did not ever make it into that quilt- in fact- i was just looking at them yesturday- still love it enough to not give it away- but still not motivated enough to put it together- i don't know what my problem is with it----maybe someday i will set down and make those blocks into a quilt...spent almost $300 on it...and it lives in peices in a box...now on top of my fabric cabinet...instead of the closet floor- --- ;-)
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 AM

Mine is a Double Wedding Ring that I began years ago as a new quilter. I found it so nerve racking to try to get the pieces together exactly that I threw up my hands about 1/3 through the project. I still have it in a box, stored, and I do want to finish it.

I also have a Crown of Thorns cut out and partically pieced and I will finish that one as I now know how to get the seams matched. It has been stored along with the Double Wedding Ring for at least 6 yrs. Those are my only UFO's.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 AM

I have an "amish" type quilt that I began when I first started quilting. It is squares and half is black and the other half are bright primary colored strips, pieced on muslim (gonna be a heavy sucker.) For some reason, I can never get more than a couple blocks pieced and then I get bored of it and away it goes... some day I hope to finish it!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 AM

I have an English paper hexagon quilt that I started 3-4 years ago. It's not hard, but I keep doing the mental math of "for this amount of time I could have finished ______".

I will get it done. That is one of my goals this year.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 AM

My Civil War Sampler. I want to finish it....but every time I think about it, I talk myself right back out of it! I've heard too many war stories about all of the mistakes in the pattern, so I know I am going to have to double-check the rest of the measurements before even finishing with the cutting! Ugh!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Mine is a paper pieced animal print quilt ....still have about half the blocks to do...can`t seem to get motivated to finish it and would be so awesome of i did....i put it on near my sewing machine just in case...lol someday!!!