Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
treadle sewing machine >

treadle sewing machine

treadle sewing machine

Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM

I am going to look at a treadle sewing machine - can you give my any advice on what I should be looking for - I really one one but I don't want to just throw away my money -
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM

I think I would ask on the Vintage machine thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm
Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Cosmetic condition is a big factor in pricing old machines. A machine head and cabinet in better condition will fetch a lot more money than an abused one. Where I am a standard condition treadle machine and cabinet (very well-used looking machine with scratch marks on the bed but a clean machine head and decent looking cabinet) will sell for $50 to $100. One in really good condition might be $150. One with a really beautiful cabinet with both machine and cabinet in top condition might be $200. (Other parts of the country may be more expensive; not sure.)

Treadle machines are fairly difficult to sell; not many buyers, and they are heavy to transport.

It's fairly easy and inexpensive to replace the leather belt. However, you want to make sure the machine actually sews a stitch. That's why it's a good idea to bring your own fabric and thread to test out the machine. This also ensures that there is a bobbin case in the machine. (Bobbin cases can be replaced, but they usually run about $30 plus you can't be sure the machine actually forms a stitch unless you have the bobbin case.) If there is no leather belt, you can hand rotate the wheel to make sure stitches form. This basically ensures that you do not have to have a technician go over the machine and fix problems (an added expense). If it can form stitches, you can clean and fix up everything yourself.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Cosmetic condition is a big factor in pricing old machines. A machine head and cabinet in better condition will fetch a lot more money than an abused one. Where I am a standard condition treadle machine and cabinet (very well-used looking machine with scratch marks on the bed but a clean machine head and decent looking cabinet) will sell for $50 to $100. One in really good condition might be $150. One with a really beautiful cabinet with both machine and cabinet in top condition might be $200. (Other parts of the country may be more expensive; not sure.)
Thank you for your expert advice. I do appreciate it so much.

Treadle machines are fairly difficult to sell; not many buyers, and they are heavy to transport.

It's fairly easy and inexpensive to replace the leather belt. However, you want to make sure the machine actually sews a stitch. That's why it's a good idea to bring your own fabric and thread to test out the machine. This also ensures that there is a bobbin case in the machine. (Bobbin cases can be replaced, but they usually run about $30 plus you can't be sure the machine actually forms a stitch unless you have the bobbin case.) If there is no leather belt, you can hand rotate the wheel to make sure stitches form. This basically ensures that you do not have to have a technician go over the machine and fix problems (an added expense). If it can form stitches, you can clean and fix up everything yourself.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Do you want a working treadle? When I got mine, the belt was broken but they told me it would work. I turned the flywheel to ensure all parts moved. I made sure the pulman was intact, I made sure the bobbin covers could still be moved and they were both there and the feed dogs moved. I inspected the shuttle basket to ensure it moved back and forth and ensured the thumb screw that holds the needle still moved. I inspected the tension assembly to ensure it wasn't frozen up or the spring was completely compressed.

Things I had to order for mine: A new belt, a new shuttle, bobbins and needles.

I paid $75 for mine and invested another $50 to $70 for the needed parts. The bobbin winder on mine was frozen up but my DH simply removed it and soaked it in brake cleaner fluid, kerosene would do the same. That freed it right up. I managed to get a bobbin wound on it but got the wrong size needles so it won't pick up the bobbin thread and I need to re-tighten the belt. Here are pics I posted of mine way back when I got it:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36680-1.htm
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 PM

If it's a Singer you happen to find make sure you look on the bottom of the machine. If it has "Made in China" cast into the metal it's a cheap repro. They are still being made today for third world countries.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 PM

There are lots of them out there and if you are patient, they go cheap!! Keep an eye out on www.shopgoodwill.com and craigslist for any in Nevada (You'd need to pick it up-shipping would be outrageous!) They are simple machines, so it doesn't take much to get them running. I bought mine for $50, got an old quilt with it to boot and only had to replace the belt (cost about $6.00), oiled it up and fussed with the tension, and it was good to go!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM

Up here in new york i've paid between $20 and $40 for working treadles. If you can get the serial of a singer ahead of time you can check the model and usually get the manual for free. It's good to do because as much as I love my 9w getting needles is difficult and expensive, but the model 27 uses a standard needle you can buy anywhere. Also depending on the machine you may have difficulty getting bobbins. But generally making sure everything moves is a good start, including the flywheel when you pump the treadle (I saw one rusted solid!) A belt will cost lest than $10 so if that's missing it's no big deal :). If you have pics of them you can post them and we can usually ID and give you some background on the machine in the vintage thread :). Good luck! Treadles are AWESOME.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:32 PM

I recommend you find someone local (within your state) who restores old machines. They're usually the best ones to buy from. Plus, they usually service the machines afterward for a reasonable price. That's how I got my 3 vintage machines and he services my 'modern' (1973) Viking.

You're probably asking, ok, how do I find such a person? You can go to the antique stores. They always know the collectors, who repairs them, etc. Also, go to the craft shows, especially the quilting ones. That's how I found my local person. He gets old machines, fixes them up and then resells them. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Be sure you go to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop thread on here and ask your questions. There are several resident experts on treadle machines....they can tell you everything and anything you want to know, including how to complete restore one yourself, if you are so inclined. Also a wooden cabinet expert, who will tell you how to restore/repair the cabinet if it needs it.

There's so much help on here....you just have to go to the right thread. Don't be shy...ask away!! :-)