Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fluffy quilts >

fluffy quilts

fluffy quilts

Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 PM

I am rather new to quilting and have learned a lot from all of you. I have followed all the suggestions I have found on this site and have finished several quilts. I used for the batting Warm and Natural since it seemed to be what most use. I am very pleased, with the outcome but they seem stiff and not the fluffy ones I knew as a child that I could snuggle up in...Is this due to the batting? If so what do I use to get that feeling.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM

That's due to the batting, yes! For fluffier quilts, you would use a higher-loft polyester batting. Cottons tend to result in much 'thinner' quilts.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM

I have used a lot of the Warm and Natural batting and also found it to be heavy and not as cuddly as I like. I tried the Hobbs cotton [80/20) and like it for the softer and lighter weight. I have a lot of Warm and Natural on hand but want to try other Hobbs products also.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I too like the fluffier quilts.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM

You might like wool batting. It's light and wrapable
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jennalyn
That's due to the batting, yes! For fluffier quilts, you would use a higher-loft polyester batting. Cottons tend to result in much 'thinner' quilts.
I would use wool instead of polyester. Wool tends to breathe better and it's a more natural fabric, which is something I really like. Just my opinion :)
Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

oh my there are so many wonderful lofty batts on the market---time to step outside that box you put yourself in and try out some others.
read the packaging- it will tell you the loft--anywhere between 1/8" and 1"...and all measurements in between (w&n is 1/4")
wool is a bit spendy===but definitly worth it for the really great quilts!
there are some very nice high loft poly's on the market, bamboo and dream green are both nice to work with and give a lightweight lofty soft quilt...i like the bamboo (almost) as much as wool---almost.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
oh my there are so many wonderful lofty batts on the market---time to step outside that box you put yourself in and try out some others.
read the packaging- it will tell you the loft--anywhere between 1/8" and 1"...and all measurements in between (w&n is 1/4")
wool is a bit spendy===but definitly worth it for the really great quilts!
there are some very nice high loft poly's on the market, bamboo and dream green are both nice to work with and give a lightweight lofty soft quilt...i like the bamboo (almost) as much as wool---almost.
Thanks so much for all the advise. I did not know to look for the loft on the pkg. I certainly will try this the next time as I would love to give a quilt for someone to snuggle in...thanx again
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM

I buy poly batting off the roll at my LQS. It is about 1" and makes lovely, fluffy quilts. If I was making heirloom quilts or quilts for shows I would use cotton.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM

something to remember.....the more you quilt, the less cuddly and soft a quilt will be....the art quilting done today results in a stiffer and less comfy quilt.