Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new to hand quilting >

new to hand quilting

new to hand quilting

Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM

I've just started hand quilting and have found so many useful pages on how it's done. What I have yet to find is a list of tips and "tricks of the trade" from those who have (or not) been hand quilting for a while. I already use a thimble so I don't kill my finger and am quite comfortable with it. I have a circular quilting hoop but am trying to quilt a full sized quilt which is quite large I might add. Are there any ways to manage such a large quilt? Any other tips you have would be much appreciated as well!!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 PM

I quilt using the hoop as well & have done up to queen size quilts this way. It helps at first if you simply quilt in 1 direction, don't try to twist & turn your hoop. I like to use masking tape to mark my lines. Also I use Thumb Ese..little tabs that you put on your thumb so when you stick your needle in the quilt the tab stops it..not your thumb!Jo Ann sells them, they're cheap & save my thumb from being a bloody stub before the quilt is finished. I have a large ottoman that I use when I need to repostion the hoop, I just drape the quilt over it & smooth everything as I go. It sure beats laying the quilt on the floor to repostion.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM

I hope you get some good advice. I should ask my sister, she hand quilts, I think with a big hoop. I only machine quilt.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM

I've hand quilted for years and have never gotten the hang of using a hoop. I just baste and pin really good and quilt with it in my lap. It's great for keeping warm in the winter. My avatar was hand quilted.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Like Beachbound, I like to use 1/4 inch masking tape to
keep my line of stitches exactly where I want them to be.
Find tape at quilt/fabric stores -- very affordable. I have
seen it in natural color & dark green. I don't like using a hoop
either.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:46 AM

I also did my first large quilts in a 16" hoop and I didn't have problems to handle it. I sat in a comfortable armchair and the quilt laid on both sides on the armrests. I heard of other hand quilters that they spread the quilt on a large table and sit on one side to quilt.
When you use a hoop it is necessary not to put the quilt too tight in it. It should be a little loose and the needle can be moved easier.
I am sure you already know that hand quilting needs practice - you will find your way!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 AM

Congratulations on taking the dive into hand quilting. I find it so relaxing. Usually do my quilting in front of the TV in the evening and it allows me to have conversations w/DH and the like while still getting something done.

I also use a round hoop and have done king sized quilts this way. I've also done them hoop-less but discovered I liked using the hoop if for no other reason than to find where I was working when I last put it down! I just have the quilt in my lap and move around as needed.

I sit in my comfy chair, halogen light, liquid of choice, and any other tools at hand I might need. I also use a small pair of needle-nosed pliers for those times when pulling the needle is harder than I feel like dealing with. I also use the rubber finger tips from the office supply store to help with pulling. I use my thimble on my middle finger and the rubber tip on my index finger.

I, too, only quilt in one direction (towards myself). I would suggest using Thread Heaven to condition your thread. Helps with reducing tangles and does, I think, help the thread glide better through the fabric.

Enjoy the process.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:26 AM

With a large quilt, you might think about using a small card table to support some of it, particularly on warm days.

Janet
Old 06-26-2011, 04:22 AM

A friend at meeting saves all those free address labels and uses them as guides for straight lines.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 PM

the address label and masking tape was is a great idea, but I guess mixing it with humidity makes them not stick. Instead because I'm doing wavy lines, it just put regular pins in it so that I'd know where to stop with my waves. It's working for now, but I'm thinking of adding fan quilting which I'm not exactly sure how to draw it on the quilt. I've read that chalk works, would regular black board chalk work or do I need some special chalk?

But thanks for all the tips on how to support it!