Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need a boost/encouragement! >

I need a boost/encouragement!

I need a boost/encouragement!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Right back at you, dear!! :D:D
Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 AM

oh and I will look more on the tutorials that have been sent as well, again thanks a bunch. And yes I do know this board is the greatest , I have been to some others, but this one is the tops!!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 AM

Sharon Schamber has wonderful video tutorials on doing bindings and the corners. I also love Missouri Quilt Co tutorials. These 2 sites have very clear easy to understand tutorials. How I learned was to have the videos continually playing while I am on the machine learning the techniques. It is easier to 'Learn by Doing'.
Good luck, and once you master this to your satisfaction, you will enjoy it!
And is it possible the lady who doesn't like your sizing of the article, show you exactly what she wants and expects? I do understand your concerns completely. I make the hats too.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 AM

Sweetheart there are those in every crowd that would bitch if you gave them a pile of gold because it is too heavy. IGNORE the nasty Nancy's. (no offense to anyone named Nancy there) Smile and be twice as happy. Happy people really irritate the grumps. HAHAHA (((((HUGS)))))
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Hugs. I wish I could explain about the binding. I know there are books that show you how to do it. Pictures are sometimes better than words. Keep smiling that always helps me. I know I would be hurt and frustrated too. Thinking of you.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Nanacsew I am going to check that link out. I think I went to it one time. will let you know.

and kwhite, thanks a bunch!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyL
Before I finally mastered mitered corners, I would round off the corners of my quilts, (I used a dinner plate for my shaping) and the bindings went on great and they look nice the way they hang from the bed. Maybe you could try "killing with kindness" when the old folks are being hyper critical. Tell them you really appreciate their advice and maybe someday you will be able to do it "as well as they do". I bet that will make them hush.
First off, many hugs from one senior to another. We really need them. I agree with BeckyL, rounded corners are much nicer looking and wear much better and looks harder. Little do they know. Practice on the square points but in the meantime round them off. Hugs for a blessed day!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Here is a hug and a HUGE thank you for you kindness. It is people like you that helped people like me! My son was born premature by 3months and spent the first 7 months of his life in NICU. Some volunteers came and brought him homemade tiny quilts, hats, booties, etc.....since he was so small, even the premie stuff was huge on him, but these ladies made things that actually fit him. Thank you again, and please keep up the good work. You might even think about donating your things to the local NICU for all those babies fighting for their life..........just a thought. Oh, and for an update......he is 6 now, no colostomy bag, no more heart monitors, and no more oxygen delivered.......a perfect little boy.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 AM

I personally do a very lousy job on binding. All my bindings seem to get some wrinkles in them no matter what.

I wouldn't let some old biddies worry me about the size of my crocheted baby hats. Baby's heads come in all sizes even for the very little babies.
------------------------------------------------------
Bindings? I just went and looked at the bindings on a quilt on my bed I've had for, well, since I married my late DH in 1967. Sure enough, the binding on that one is definitely crooked and bunched up just a little bit in one place near the corner. IN ALL THAT TIME I'VE NEVER NOTICED IT. I use the quilt on my bed and love it because my dear late MIL gave it to us for our new bed.
-----------------------------------------
Someone doesn't want the sizes of baby caps you're making?
Is that someone connected with or works in the newborn nursery, Peds, or is one of the hospital volunteers? I'd bet that she is not.

I spent over 28 years as a hospital volunteer and I assure you, all the stuff we got that wasn't what they wanted or needed at that very moment, we wrote down so that every volunteer who came in later on "Their" day would look to see if a patient had come in who could use it. It was always much loved and we ourselves were included in the thanks for that small gift.
Please don't stop doing this marvelous job of making needed things for the sick, all of them are helped by such things or they would not be allowed.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Bless your heart!!!!!!!!!! Hugs Hugs and more Hugs. My dear daddy (RIP) always reminded me to not sweat the small stuff. You are doing a wonderful service to the babies. Don't let anyone hurt your feelings. You are doing a charitable thing. That counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!