Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need a boost/encouragement! >

I need a boost/encouragement!

I need a boost/encouragement!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Maybe you need to find a quilters guild to get some encouragement. I retired last year and joined the guild. I now have friends that have th same interests as I. Many are more talented then me and I can get help from them if needed.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 AM

I have used the method called "Bumpless Binding Finishing Trick" that is a Connecting Threads tutorial. I love it - very accurate and easy to do. I even use it on the mug rugs. I tried to get the link but for some reason it did not work. Connectingthreads.com, search for tutorials and put in bumpless binding.

If you need any info on applying the binding, the Kaye Wood tuts listed on this same Message Board is a great one. I think the secret of her technique is sewing off to the corner. This is the technique that I teach. You don't end up with a "hole" at the corner as you've closed it off.

Hope this helps. Love this Board and all the info available.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 AM

For charity or quick quilts, I make the backing about 4" larger than the front all around the quilt. After it is quilted, I "wrap" the extra backing to the front, folding over twice and topstitch it. Although I like binding applied separately, I don't always have the patience or time to make it look good.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 AM

I had this happen to me at quilting. I am gettin over it, but do try to avoid this lady, I switched days at the
LQS and am now more relaxed.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Mary,
I live in Raleigh too. I can show you how to do binding with mitered corners, just send me a PM and we'll come up with a place to meet.
Lori :D
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
thanks!! really need that today!
I've been quilting for sev. yrs. now & I just now get the hang of mitered corners. I just Googled "how to miter quilt corners" & there are sev. sites that might help.

I have found that many women don't age well. In working with senior grps. I find that some tend act more like kindergarteners. Just be your sweet self & rise above the cold shoulder. They'll discover what a wonderful, giving person you are.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Dear,
Please, think about doing this....
Make some placemats or a table runner and wrap and give them to "Mrs Busybody" as an unbirthday present.
Be sure to tell her it is to make her feel better....

I had the wickedest mother in law, you could imagine!
She was so dissapointed she couldn't dictate to me, she could spit! LOL!
I won her over by being kind to her, and a few little presents softened her toungue!
....and if the others want some too....well can you have a little quilting party - just for that!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM

It is your quilt...what nerve. About the preemie hats...are all preemies heads the same size??? What a jerk that woman is. If the preemie hats cannot be used in the preemie nursery, they can always be used in the regular nursery.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM

All I can say is may God bless you and your work!!!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Yes, practice, practice, practice those miters. 10 + years and I'm finally getting to where its become easy!. You'll not even remember when you found yourself overthinking the process.

Sorry to hear about those who can't say things nicely or not at all. As the song goes, "Keep your Sunny Side UP", you'll win them over.

Don't stop doing what makes YOU feel good.
Hugs.