Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
decorator fabric sample books >

decorator fabric sample books

decorator fabric sample books

Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 AM

do you ever get these? I got about seven from someone that have heavy fabric swatches and I am trying to figure out a use for the swatches some are really nice but some are outdated but I hate to waste them any ideas?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
do you ever get these? I got about seven from someone that have heavy fabric swatches and I am trying to figure out a use for the swatches some are really nice but some are outdated but I hate to waste them any ideas?
Tote bags
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 AM

Hi, A lady from church gave several books of fabric to our quilting group and one woman (who is particularly creative) is going to use them in the following ways:
1.) crazy quilts
2.) quilted purses and bags
3.) journal covers
4.) pin cushions
....and I am sure as she thinks of it she will have more....
hope this gives you some ideas--she said she's going to cut the fabric from the books while she watches tv--also a great way to get through a job that's long, but not too hard. good luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sheree alexander
Hi, A lady from church gave several books of fabric to our quilting group and one woman (who is particularly creative) is going to use them in the following ways:
1.) crazy quilts
2.) quilted purses and bags
3.) journal covers
4.) pin cushions
....and I am sure as she thinks of it she will have more....
hope this gives you some ideas--she said she's going to cut the fabric from the books while she watches tv--also a great way to get through a job that's long, but not too hard. good luck.
That about covers my ideas
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Rugs
Dog bed
Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Wheel chair/walker bags. If they are not too heavy, the tissue cases featured on QB tutorials. Pothaolders/caserole takers. Big squares sewn together for a picnic/car trunk blanket. Covers for your machines....
Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 AM

I feel your pain -- I have a friend who has brought me so many of these that I've had to donate some to a local school. It killed me to do it - my greedy self wanted to keep them all. I made sure I kept all the faux leather ones for sure (I do a lot of general crafting as well as quilting)

Make clutch purses. Eyeglass cases. Scissor cases. Needle cases. ANYTHING cases. There is a lady online who is designing a pattern for a case for post it notes and when she posts it (cute) I will post it (using a post it?)

Many of the "upscale" fabrics are still 100% cotton and will work as quilting fabrics I have found after you wash them. The finish that made them fancy-fa-fa expensive washes off, and volia! You'll have a wonderful layer cake square. Using the coordinating fabrics you might be able to make things like bedroom slippers. (I don't know how big you books are - I have them in various sizes from huge to tiny)

Be nice to the person who gave these to you - then beg for more. Ask for the trim books too - oh my oh my oh my. It is so very nice to get the dangly trim sample books. Trust me.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 AM

I have made make-up bags for the ladies shelder. I use a 6,8,or 9in zipper acorss the top and a fold of the heavry fabric in half, sew up the sides and the zipper in and you are done.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 AM

I made a rag "throw" out of them once (in place of the denim). Since it was to cover a chair, I wasn't concerned about warmth. It really was quite stunning.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I have seen beautiful table runners/toppers made out of them. The decorator fabric on the front, cotton on the back, no batting was needed :D:D:D