Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts >

Scrappy quilts

Scrappy quilts

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth "Liz"
I like the look of a scrappy quilt, but I can not seems to rap my mind around how to make one. At this time in my early quilting life, I have to have a pattern a plan and my colors must blend in a way that works in my mind. I hope that one day the light bulb will go off in my head and I will be able to understand and make a scrappy quilt.
You and I are opposite then.... I'm a new sewer let alone quilter and I cannot wrap my mind around a "cookie cutter" pattern but can sit here and take a pile of fabrics and just start sewing them together and as I go along I start putting the pieces in different directions, different cuts, and such. I visualize it as I go along and it just comes together.

As a new quilter my very first three tops have been crazy patchwork scrappy ones.

I think folks like me who are more into semmatry, goemetrics and chaotic seem to be able to just do such.

I don't think there is any correct way to create a quilt....beauty is in the mind of the creator and some will love it as well and others won't simply because it's not there fortay.

Some folks like structure and work very well with traditional and contemporary type quilting and other refuse to be bound by structure and will just create there own without a pattern.

Truthfully anything anyone creates is beautiful to them and to others. What is nice about this craft is you have freedom to do it your way.......what makes you feel comfortable and what one likes.

As the saying goes different strokes for different folks and this is so true in this art form of quilting.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by deedum
I am very free spirited, scrappies are just that!
Exactly! I have always been a free spirit as well and reason I go in that direction in creating a quilt.

Gee, they are people like me out there! Thank you! I thought I was an odd duck!!! I am just so scrappie and very much a free spirit that I can't (don't want too) do the cookie cutter same as everyone else's quilt!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Scrappy quilts are in a way memory quilts. Since I have scraps collected from my mother, two deceased aunts, myself and my daughter, every scrap that I recognize elicits a memory of how old it is, what was made from it, and for who. Some of the scraps are so ugly (in my mind's eye), that I wonder what they were thinking when they bought the original fabric!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
Some of the scraps are so ugly (in my mind's eye), that I wonder what they were thinking when they bought the original fabric!

Yes but when you add it with other scraps it looks beautiful.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 AM

I love them because I think they're "cozy". They are just asking to be curled up in. While a planned quilt is beautiful of course, they are sometimes a bit more formal and not as home-y. Plus, like others have said -completely unique!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
Just curious what makes people like them so much, me personally, I don't care for them, have seen a few beautiful ones, but just wonder the appeal. Would like to know why you love them or have no intesrest
I'm kind of getting into the scrappy quilt thing. Been buying up various purples for a scrappish Cathedral quilt and various greens for a Winding Ways quilt. Kind of a "faux scrappy" as I'm not using various bits and pieces left over from other projects.

I think a reason why quilters make them is the idea that if you save enough scraps from other quilting projects you can make a whole quilt from them. That's kind of amazing when you think that a whole quilt top was made from something that could of ended up in the waste basket.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM

I think my love for them is because there is great satisfaction in making something beautiful from something that was seemly not usable anymore. I like new fabric, but I just don't get the same satisfaction from using old fabrics or scraps. Plus, it has a story about people with it too. When you use new fabric it may have a story but it is not mended in the past, so much.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Same for me......

Originally Posted by jemma
cosy rainbows full of love---its all about fabric / pattern choice
Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM

I haven't read all 8 pages of posts so I might be repeating, but another reason for making scrappy quilts is to feel a little less guilty for having such a huge stash of fabric!!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:28 PM

Scrap quilts have become my favorite as I don't have to agonize over color choices as much. I've been quilting a few years now, and the hardest part for me is making the fabrics "match". Also, a scrap quilt is a wealth of fabric history for me as I try to put the tiniest scraps together so none is wasted. It's fun to look at a scrap quilt and say..."I remember which quilt I used that one in".