Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts >

Scrappy quilts

Scrappy quilts

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM

I like scrappy for the same reason some ppl like matchy.......just because I do :)
Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM

I think when I retire I will only do scrap quilts...fabric is so expensive. I spend the money on fabric now but as I start giving more and more away and am no longer working, I may start doing more and more scrap quilts. I am still so amazed how much fabric costs and the expense of making quilts, I do enjoy it though...
Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 PM

My childhood quilt was a scrap quilt with big red triangles, and hexagon block shapes filled with diamonds made with real feedsacks, made by my Arkansas aunts. Called the Dutch Tile, I've never seen one like it anywhere. To me, a scrap quilt with all the colors is like a sweet piece of Everything---all the colors of the rainbow--to cuddle under, to keep me warm in a cold unheated room in a Michigan Winter.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Love your sentence that says I am passing on something of myself to my family. I feel the same and have quilts on hand for everyone and almost everyone in the family already has one or more quilts.

I also have been writing family memoirs on the computer some 30 years ago so have quite a stash of those as well. Now I am winding down on big quilts and just finished a wall hanging of Mount Diablo as seen from my home in northern California. Needs a few finishing touchs but pleases me. I never quilt by hand though.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM

it's just the simple look that I like....something made from practically nothing...leftovers.

I much prefer the scrappy and 30's fabric quilts to the new modern abstract quilts. Not sure why...I think I must have lived on Little House on the Prairie in a previous life....lol.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM

I am teaching my daughter inlaw to quilt. First I gave her a bunch of scraps which she cut up but she was having troubles figuring out how they would go together...so I cut up five matching fabrics for her to start quilting...so far she loves it....she still have 8 more blocks to sew and then put them all together. She really seems to enjoy it. I gave her one of my sewing machines to keep and if she ends up liking it. She will end up inhereting all of my stash and all of my stuff...I hopefully have many,many more years ahead of me...someday hopefully grandkids but in no hurry. I am finding its a lot of fun teaching others how to quilt. I use my fabric if family since I would have made them one anyways.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Love them because they remind me of love, patience and craftmanship that is in danger of being lost. Also it teaches a great lesson in not wasting anything useful.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:00 PM

I just finished a scrappy log cabin top. I'd always wanted to make a log cabin and, since I made it for my husband (and to him, scrappy is how you make quilts!) and because I had loads of scraps to use up, I went with scrappy. I love buying fabric and planning out quilts that way, too, but it was a lot of fun to just let the quilt take shape from what I had. Now that the top is all together, my kids love looking it over and checking out all the different fabrics, especially taking note of fabrics that they recognize from other things that were made from the same fabric. It just feels super cozy and homey! : )
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM

Oh, yeah- and, also, I'm going to get my kids started on some piecing and will let them pick fabrics from my stash. We'll be making a family quilt! : )
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 PM

I just started making scrap quilts out of necessity. Had too many scraps. I find myself controlling color placement.I just finished a string quilt and the only thing I controlled was the center strip. Turned out rather colorful.