Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
LADIES! WARNING!!    hide your purse.... >

LADIES! WARNING!! hide your purse....

LADIES! WARNING!! hide your purse....

Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 AM

God bless your heart!! I know exactly how you feel. A few years ago I woke up to see a stranger looking all over my dresser; I stayed frozen like I was still asleep. I waited until he left my room and the hallway area and ran upstairs to get some help from family. I guess he heard us coming downstairs because when we went into the sunroom where my computer system was my monitor was halfway off of my desk. He didn't get anything but if I hadn't woke up he would have. I always kept my purse hidden each night when I went to bed so he didn't get it. When someone breaks into your home it really rocks your world; and not in a good way.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 AM

No place is safe. The church I work for was broken into this past weekend. People are surprised that we lock our doors, and when I tell them that if we don't, things "walk" away, they are shocked. "Who would steal from a church?" Lots of people.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

oh my, i always lock my garage door opener and do leave my purse in the kitchen on a chair!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by pacarnahan
Years ago a neighbor told me that she always kept her purse in clear view, hoping that a thief would find it and then LEAVE. Don't know if this works, any thoughts??
Why invite problems; the open purse might tempt someone to break in that wouldn't have and once inside he could decide he didn't get enough from it and do more harm. It's not worth it. If you give some people the opportunity they'll run with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM

I am so sorry for your scare. Thank God no one was hurt. After moving into a new house we were warned that homes were being broken into by thieves kicking in the garage door, driving their car into the garage and ramsacking the house. Asked my DH to "burgler proof" and here's what he came up with. May not be perfect but will slow them down!

Sliding doors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225696[/ATTACH]

Garage door
[ATTACH=CONFIG]225697[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225690.jpe   attachment-225691.jpe  
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
wow, I was feeling bad cause my mailbox was stolen!! What a bummer for you!
We have a locomotive smoke stack for a mailbox base. They would need a crane to steel it. We had a rash of burglaries in our neighborhood. My husband actually saw a pickup truck hauling away our neighbor's boat. Luckily they found the person who was robbing everyone. Everything is locked around our house now.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 AM

I do this very thing with my large windows in the kitchen. And I also have a stick that I prop up in my small window over my sink there are stairs right under it. My son got locked out and tried to get in and couldn't!!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 AM

We live in an ungated ,55+ community. Every year we have a community wide yard sale. We didn't participate this year, but on Monday there was a telephone chain call letting everyone know that several residents had things taken from their cars over that weekend.....I guess we can never be too careful. We don't keep cash in the house and pay almost everything by CC or check...also have a good , barky watchdog....woth his weight in dog biscuts.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Thats really scary that they came in while you all were sleping. Thanks God nobody was hurt. People sure got a lo of nerve though.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM

I don't know if I could have stayed there acting like I was sleeping!! My anger would have taken over!! I had a guy "flash" me one time and I got so mad that I chased him down the street beating him with my purse!! What a sight!! Hopefully he never did that again.
When I told my mother about it she had a fit!! Said I was crazy. Well maybe that guy needed to know that I wasn't afraid!! LOL