Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do?  Bugs in ordered fabric >

What would you do? Bugs in ordered fabric

What would you do? Bugs in ordered fabric

Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM

I really appreciate this thread, as I closely inspected a box I am going to mail a quilt in today. There was a moth in it!!! I would have been horrified if my friend had found a moth in with her quilt.

I like to think I would have checked the box pretty carefully anyway, but after reading this thread yesterday, I certainly did.

Thanks for alerting me to this...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 AM

Great info here!!

I would definitely call the vendor and follow-up with an email with pics attached to show what was in the parcel.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Ewwwww! I never thought about opening packages outside before, but will now!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM

I never thought about bugs,so glad it was brought up,I sometimes order on line,guess I am to trusting,will be more careful from now on.I LOVE to look at and caress my fabric before I cut it up, okay I said it, I love fabric!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM

yes or put it in a black trash bag and leave it out in the hot car for a few hours.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM

I had an invasion recently and got a lot of good advice
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134436-1.htm
and they seem to have disappeared as fast as they came.
I did learn that bugs love the glue in cardboard envelopes, paper supermarket bags, etc. and that could be the source.
Good luck - I sympathize
Sue
Old 07-14-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by MonnaL
I have a dilemma. I ordered some fabric online, and the service was very speedy, and the fabric is just what I wanted.

When I opened the package, the fabric was wrapped in a plastic bag (like from a grocery store) and was covered with bug egg cases and bug feces. Nothing alive, thank goodness.

Unfortunately, I opened this package over my kitchen table and this stuff scattered everywhere. I ran outside with everything and dumped it in the trash and then came in and decontaminated my table and floor around it.

I honestly believe the contamination was in the envelope it was sent in (a flat rate priority one). I shook the fabric out really well and didn't see any on the fabric.

Should I write her and tell her she might want to check her envelopes, or just not ever order there again? What would you do? I do not want to give the fabric up - it's OOP and hard to find.
definately let the sender know. then wash fabric and dry 30 minutes in dryer. I have been known to toss the package I buy in the freezer if I do not have time to wash it right away.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
We have an epidemic of bed bugs in the USA and heat is the only thing that will destroy them and their eggs which are microscopic. They love material of any kind. Any fabric I bring home goes in the dryer for 1/2 hour on hot. It will not hurt the fabric and if you are like me I don't like to wash my fabric before I use it. Anything coming from Thrift store, Goodwill, etc. get this treatment or I leave it in my car for about 3 days and at 100+ degrees, it works.
living in washington state I don't think leaving it in my car would work. Might get moldy though. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I use 30 mins in dryer.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I don't think I would want to put that in my freezer either.
just put it in another zip lock bag and then in freezer. smile
Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by materialgrl
I never thought about bugs,so glad it was brought up,I sometimes order on line,guess I am to trusting,will be more careful from now on.I LOVE to look at and caress my fabric before I cut it up, okay I said it, I love fabric!
guilty here too. :oops: