Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Wisconsin >

Hello from Wisconsin

Hello from Wisconsin

Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM

I am Cathe, and I have been sewing for over 35 years, making quilts for over 20 years and teaching quiltmaking for about 12 years. My website is
http://www.gloryquilts.com , but it hasn't been updated in a while. It's mostly to promote myself as a teacher, with some articles and patterns and pictures of quilts.

I recently "retired" - I have been a full-time mom for 27 years, homeschooling my three sons, and the youngest one graduated on Memorial Day weekend! So now I hope to take a while to reorganize my daily life. I've taken up running and community theater (I'm not sure about the singing and dancing, but the costuming is fun, anyhow!)

It's important to me that quiltmaking be accessible to anyone who wants to do it. I hate to see people made to feel bad when they can't afford the expensive imported fabrics or buy the newest gadgets or a fancy machine. I particularly like doing weekend retreats for ladies' church groups or quilt guilds.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 AM

Sounds like you are in an exciting season of change in your life. I am also from Wisconsin, the Southwestern area.

I totally agree with you that quilting should be kept accessible to all without emphasizing fancy, expensive equipment and supplies.

This is a fun board with interesting, friendly and knowlegable people.

Welcome

Marybeth
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM

Hi nice to meet you. Lots of lovely friendly people around here.

I'm from New Zealand, over hear everything to do with quilt making is expensive, so we tend to make fewer quilts and you probably see more scrap quilts made, also use stuff from op shops etc, where there's a will there's a way :)

A few weeks back somebody won 23 rubbermaid totes of fabric on Ebay for just a few cents a pound. I was soooo green with envy :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ShellyQ
Hi nice to meet you. Lots of lovely friendly people around here.

I'm from New Zealand, over hear everything to do with quilt making is expensive, so we tend to make fewer quilts and you probably see more scrap quilts made, also use stuff from op shops etc, where there's a will there's a way :)

A few weeks back somebody won 23 rubbermaid totes of fabric on Ebay for just a few cents a pound. I was soooo green with envy :mrgreen: :lol:
ooohhhh... I was wondering what you mean by your comment in the other thread, because I do make clothing and quilts and sell them on ebay! :lol: No, that wasn't me! I bet it cost a fortune to ship.

New Zealand has always been #1 on my list of places to visit, especially the southern parts. When my grandma died, she left me a stack of books by Essie Summers, a NZ author who wrote paperback romances about family life set in interesting places in NZ. I have no idea why she collected those, but they were obviously well-loved books, and I have reread them many times.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Well Cathe, sounds like you can teach a few of us alot about quilting.
I did visit your web site and hit ministry but didn't see anything there. There has been a calling of me, for awhile ,to get into more religious art quilting. Altar Cloths I have made, and banners. Now that I quilt when I go to Church and see my Altar Cloth, I sometimes lose my concentration and dream about appliquing religious symbols on that cloth.
Perhaps God is calling me to do this as it happens every Sunday. The web sites for Religious Appl. is very limited, emb. is also expensive to buy. i've come up with a few ideas by going through Religious catalogs. I really need to start doing it and stop thinking about it. Do you have any web suggestions?
Welcome to the world of Happy Quilters!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm in the SE corner, Marybeth. about 25 miles west of the lake.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:53 PM

Oh dear sorry about that, :oops: when I posted that I didn't realise you were new on here and wouldn't have seen the thread that was on here about the big ebay win.

Some lovely places down the south Island especially the west coast, beautiful scenery. one place (in my opinion) that's a must see is the Waitomo Glow worm Caves in the North Island. you go through in a dingy, is all dark you can't see anything and then when you get to the main cavern and look up it's like looking up into a really starry nights sky, hard to believe your underground.

Have always wanted to visit America, visit some quilt shows, see some of the Amish quilting and see the Baltimore Museum and bring back absolutley container loads of fabric of course :lol:

Anyhow nice to meet you and please post some pics of your work. I'd love to see them :)