Old Wooden Spools

Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Does anyone have a use for old wooden spools, or is there something I might be able to make with them. I only have abaout 25 but hate to throw them away since they are no longer made of wood. Any help out there would be appreciated.
Ruth from Laurel MD
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 AM

If you mean the long handled ones, how about garden stakes?

Sorry, my eyes are failing me. I read post as "spoons" instead of spools.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM

I keep a lot of my tools and supplies in old-fashioned containers (Mason jars, anodized aluminum tumblers, a Jadeite mug) and I just have the spools scattered around as decoration. They're not useful per se, but they are pretty. :)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 AM

I love wooden spools! What would I have to do to get them?

PM sent.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:21 PM

I have a some dolls made from wooden spools and buttons...the head is from a round wooden ball, then the arms and legs are made with buttons strung together ending with a smaller spool for the feet and hands...the bodies are simple stuffed rectangles and/or wooden blocks...they're cute with a simple to sew dress... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi
Old 07-15-2011, 03:46 PM

here's my spool doll...Don't throw them away...google and I bet you'll find something to make out of them
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226965.jpe  
Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

They make nice ends glued onto dowel for hanging small quilts or wallhangings. I saw a cute sewing room window valance where she took strips of fabric, tied the top to the rod and threaded the bottom end of the strip through the spool and knotted. The strips were 12 to 18 inches and the spools were like beads on the ends. Strung together with Christmas fabric they make cute Christmas garland for the tree or on the mantle. There was a thread on this board about them earlier, try the search mode for more ideas.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
They make nice ends glued onto dowel for hanging small quilts or wallhangings. I saw a cute sewing room window valance where she took strips of fabric, tied the top to the rod and threaded the bottom end of the strip through the spool and knotted. The strips were 12 to 18 inches and the spools were like beads on the ends. Strung together with Christmas fabric they make cute Christmas garland for the tree or on the mantle. There was a thread on this board about them earlier, try the search mode for more ideas.
These are excellent ideas. I have used large ones for the ends of dowels to hang a quilt. I wrapped embroidery floss around the spools in a color to match the quilt.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM

I love them and collect all I can. For one thing, if you want to make knitting Nancy's you have to have wood spools.
They also make a neat storage device for circular knitting needles.I also make a painted Santa face Christmas Ornament out of the larger ones. Please let me know, if you still have them and what you would want for them. Thanks....
Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 AM

I'll get in line if you ( or any one else wants to sell some!). I'm a kindergarten teacher & there's only so much you can construct with toilet paper tubes and orange can lids! :thumbup: