Old Wooden Spools

Old 07-16-2011, 03:15 PM

Hello fellow Howard County Quilter!

Here is a cute activity to do with old thread spools [or any size spools really].

http://www.favecrafts.com/Valentines...Valentine/ml/1
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM

I saw a post somewhere--can't find it now--that took and hot glued them together with ends open and sides together. They did several depending on the length you need. They attached a ribbon through the top spool and made a nice bow for hanging. It became a holder for your circular knitting needles. You thread one end through one hole and out the other and balance equally in spool. This way they do not get bends in them that are hard to work with when knitting.

Some people varnished them to add to the look, and some painted them and decorated with painted flowers. To each his own.

I wish I had more spool so I could make one.

I don't see why you couldn't make a quilted square to hang it from and add the ribbon too. Lots of different takes on this one.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM

I found and old shelf made of spools and small lengths of wood when cleaning out my parents old smoke house. It may have been made by my Dad when a child or who knows.

Its very simple-

As a base 4 large spools had a heavy piece of wire strung through them--4 corners--a loop had been made at the bottom to keep wire from sliding out-

Then what ever size shelf you want-have a piece of 1/2 x however long you want piece of plank wood, holes are drilled in spot where wire can run through-

Next-you can use as many spools as you want for the height of the shelf--low shelf use about 3-4 spools stacked--with the wire running through them. Keeping it all tight to prevent wobbling.

Continue on up for however high you want. At the top and end of wire-place another spool and again loop off the wire to secure---Then paint or paint the boards only to show off the spools

You would need to hang using long nails or brackets to hold up on the wall under one of the boards. you really cannnot sit shelf flat, unless you can figure out something.

My Dad was born in 1919-so you can imagine how old my shelf is. A little summer arts and crafts for the kids!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 PM

I just had someone give me a plastic bag full. will be looking for ideas.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM

I have a shelf with spools threaded
onto a metal rod for shelf deviders
made by my Grand Dad.
J J
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 AM

my dad used to make these for me--using a wooden matchstick instead of a pencil. he'd carve out a washer for the side from a bar of soap, and would notch the outside edges for traction. my grandma used to have lots, and i just found more in my mom's basement. i see a project with the grandsons coming up!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
my dad used to make these for me--using a wooden matchstick instead of a pencil. he'd carve out a washer for the side from a bar of soap, and would notch the outside edges for traction. my grandma used to have lots, and i just found more in my mom's basement. i see a project with the grandsons coming up!
http://www.scidaho.org/Library/Outreach/spoolCars.pdf
Old 07-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137
I have a shelf with spools threaded
onto a metal rod for shelf deviders
made by my Grand Dad.
J J
Would you be able to post a picture of this?

Thank you
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by RuthieF
Does anyone have a use for old wooden spools, or is there something I might be able to make with them. I only have abaout 25 but hate to throw them away since they are no longer made of wood. Any help out there would be appreciated.
Ruth from Laurel MD
How about decorating a grape vine wreath with a quilters theme with: wooden spools, bows of folksy fabric, hat pins and quilting charms? You could hang it in your sewing room or on it's door. ;-)
Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 AM

http://www.scidaho.org/Library/Outreach/spoolCars.pdf
I'm doing this with my residents and the plastic spools I've been saving! Thanks I'll attatch different fabric scraps so they look different. then we can have races :XD: