Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Humility Blocks" >

"Humility Blocks"

"Humility Blocks"

Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 AM

I had read that before and always wanted to speak up when someone talked about humility blocks but couldn't quote a source. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Thank you for the link.
I don't need to ADD a humility block to my quilts. I seem to find them after I have quilted half of it already.
The link also included the history of machine quilting. blows away the idea that "the only true quilt is hand done".
EEven my grandma in the 1930's machine quilted on her ttreadle. :)
Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 AM

I really, really appreciate you including this website. There are so many "truths" about quilting that are total fabrications but continue to be passed along as gospel. I try, in my own little way to dispell as many of these myths as possible when teaching beginners. Now if only people would stop believing this undergroung railroad quilt myth - - - a complete fabrication that is now taught as "truth", even in schools. (Sorry, this is on my list of soapbox issues.) I have absolutely no problem with quilt stories - like family stories, etc. though. I love history, just not the fables - and George Washington did not have wooden teeth.

Thanks for helping quilters learn quilt history, and thanks for letting me express my own opinions,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 AM

Definitely an interesting article. I have to agree with those who say, "I make enough mistakes without doing it on purpose."
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 AM
KLO

I also was blown away by the fact that people were inventing machine quilting set ups of one sort or another before the 1900's!!! I would never have guessed that. Talk about creative and thinking people!!! Fascinating, for sure. Also, I like others, don't have to "add" humility to my quilts. It comes naturally, I am sorry to say. Thanks for posting this link.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM

I had never heard of the humility block before but have heard the Amish put at least 1 error in their quilts because only God is perfect. Interesting site, thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Originally Posted by erstan947
Interesting information. It talks of Humility blocks.......I do humility QUILTS:) with out even trying:)
LOL as do I
Ditto me on that one, too!!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Th. Even as a youth, I can remember thinking that it was a rather UN-humble thing to think you had to purposefully add imperfection to a quilt.
You know, I felt exactly the same, and I am so glad that it was untrue!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
I had never heard of the humility block before but have heard the Amish put at least 1 error in their quilts because only God is perfect. Interesting site, thanks.
We've all heard it. But it's not true. That's why I posted the link!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135
I really, really appreciate you including this website. There are so many "truths" about quilting that are total fabrications but continue to be passed along as gospel. I try, in my own little way to dispell as many of these myths as possible when teaching beginners. Now if only people would stop believing this undergroung railroad quilt myth - - - a complete fabrication that is now taught as "truth", even in schools. (Sorry, this is on my list of soapbox issues.) I have absolutely no problem with quilt stories - like family stories, etc. though. I love history, just not the fables - and George Washington did not have wooden teeth.

Thanks for helping quilters learn quilt history, and thanks for letting me express my own opinions,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Thanks Sandy. I am not even American and I was taught that George Washington had wooden teeth!!!!

You have to be so careful with things that "everyone knows", because sometimes they are simply not true. Examples like this are pretty harmless but there are all sorts of urban myths out there, and some of them contribute to prejudice in society, so I like to be a skeptic and check the source whenever I can.

(So, what WERE GW's teeth made from?!!)