Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone bind their quilt by bringing the backing material to the front? >

Does anyone bind their quilt by bringing the backing material to the front?

Does anyone bind their quilt by bringing the backing material to the front?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:10 PM

I have done this.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 AM

That's the only way I do it. It's very easy and I like the way it looks. You can make it as wide or narrow as you like.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM

AlienQuilter, thank you so much for your directions on the hemming. They were so clear and make a wonderful corner. I had been trying to figure out what to do once the 1/4" cutting of the corner was done from the placemat site and was getting nowhere fast. Thank God I continued to read through the posts and saw yours. Works great!
Marcia in TX.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:46 PM

I just did this kind of binding on the last 3 T-Shirt quilts I made for my nephews 4 year old son. This was the first time I used this kind of binding and It really looks good. And, it was really easy. I used a yard stick and butted it up against the quilt edges to trim all the way around, which left just enough to double fold and fold to the front. I think it was just over two inches using the width of the yard stick.

Last edited by susanwilley; 12-14-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
I am not that great at giving directions but here goes!!

When I decide to do a wrap around binding, I....VERY CAREFULLY....trim off the excess batting to the edge of the quilt top....BE SURE....to pin the backing fabric away or you will cut into it and then have to do a regular binding!!!

Then I lay out the backing fabric and using my straight edge ruler and rotary cutter, I trim the fabric to at least 2 inches and sometimes 2 1/2 inches all the way around. Now, fold your backing fabric in half ( more or less....no rules here!! ) and tuck it back into the quilt sandwich and fold the edge over and either finish by hand or machine. Corners are a bit tricky but practice and you will get it....the time saved in cutting the binding and sewing it on will give you the extra time to fold and tuck those corners....but really, they are not that hard.

I've found that by cutting extra backing fabric and folding it over before stitching the binding down, will give me a good sturdy binding that will last as long as a seperate binding...IMO!!

jodi
This is the way I do it too. Sometimes I have a little less to wrap round. My mother always wrapped her backing to the front. Of course, she made quilts to keep warm.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM

I just finished a vintage church dash queen quilt using 1930's fabric. I did the "back to front" since that seems to be the way they were done at that time. Most of my grandmother's quilts were also done that way. I would use that same method again if the quilt seemed to call for it; otherwise I use a separate binding.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:52 AM

When I decide to do a wrap around binding, I....VERY CAREFULLY....trim off the excess batting to the edge of the quilt top....BE SURE....to pin the backing fabric away or you will cut into it and then have to do a regular binding!!!

Then I lay out the backing fabric and using my straight edge ruler and rotary cutter, I trim the fabric to at least 2 inches and sometimes 2 1/2 inches all the way around. Now, fold your backing fabric in half ( more or less....no rules here!! ) and tuck it back into the quilt sandwich and fold the edge over and either finish by hand or machine. Corners are a bit tricky but practice and you will get it....the time saved in cutting the binding and sewing it on will give you the extra time to fold and tuck those corners....but really, they are not that hard.

I've found that by cutting extra backing fabric and folding it over before stitching the binding down, will give me a good sturdy binding that will last as long as a seperate binding...IMO!!

jodi

JODI ~ Your instructions are TERRIFIC! I have a Fall quilt with Minky backing and because there is plenty of backing all the way around I'm going to follow your instructions!

I don't mind double fold binding, in fact I enjoy the binding process, but with this quilt since it is for me, and any mistakes I may make will be mine to look at :0) I'm anxious to try the technique you so aptly described!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Yes I do, because I hate binding my quilt and I find this is easier.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

jodi
Going to try this way. Sounds easy enough if I understan it right.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:06 AM

Both of my grandmothers were avid quilters; one did ALL of her quilts this way, the other did NONE of her quilts this way. I possess quilts of both type that have been used and loved for years, and I don't notice either style of binding being more durable than the others - the fabrics and the use & care of the fabrics seem to be the really important factor. I notice quilts I used most on my bed as a teen have the worst binding along the shortest edges - I'm assuming that's from my greasy teenager face touching the binding there the most!

For my own quilts, I do some the "flip over" way, some the "separate" way...depends on the fabrics, the quilt, and my mood. Thinking about my quilts, I think I do the "separate" way about 80% of the time though.

I'm making 2 quilts for Christmas this year - one will be bound the "flip over" way, the other will be done the "separate" way.