Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh wow .. am I really this old... >

Oh wow .. am I really this old...

Oh wow .. am I really this old...

Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 PM

How many of these items do you remember??

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. 'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :
Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.
My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers -- my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 6 AM every morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEM O RIES:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about .
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Candy cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with table side juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (There were only 3 channels if you were fortunate.)
7. Peashooters
8. Howdy Doody
9. 45 RPM records
10.Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with lever
12. Blue flashbulbs
13. Cork popguns
14. Studebakers
15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young.
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older.
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age.
If you remembered 11-15 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!! Especially to all your really OLD friends....

I wish we could go back to the old times...
Old 07-24-2011, 05:12 PM

I'm older than dirt (11). Oh, dear! (Not - oh s___!)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 PM

We still get milk delivered. I was one of 5 kids and we had 6 gallons delivered a week and it wasn't enough!

We had NO air conditioning in our house or truck. AM radio only in the truck.

We also had "rat traps" on the back of our bikes to hold our back packs as we rode to school.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Google Goddess

thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM

i know a lot of those. lol but i was only about 6 or 7 lol. haven't thought about a lot of those things for a long time. :lol: but seriously, i remember dinner showing up at breakfast to prove a point. (point for mom) cause it was gross at breakfast. lol yes, def. ate what mom put before me after that.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM

Yep, another one older than dirt. :roll:
Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM

I remembered them all personally except the Studebaker...but someone had one that lived down the street from us...we were either Chevy or Ford people...ALWAYS...lol...thanks for the memories...Naomi
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: PS.The only fast food place when I was young was a White Castle place, but they cooked them fresh...AND, we had a restaurant milk cooler...there were 6 in our family, plus a cousin or two living with us most of the time
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM

Yep, I'm old!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 PM

I remember glass milk bottles being delieverd, I have the scar in the center of my left hand to show proof. I remember the metal ice trays because we had to refill them and half the time the leaver didn't work that well, my mom putting her had through a wringer on the washer and so many of the others on the list.

I'm older than dirt to I guess but some I remember not because I actually watched or used, but because they were still around or my parents talked about them.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 PM

I remember enough that I can't tell my age.