Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
yardage question >

yardage question

yardage question

Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Okay going to make a crib/baby blanket for a new mommy. She likes the dnp pattern and so will be doing that one. For just the top how much garage would you guys suggest. I was planning on 5-7" squares to start with. The top needs to be around the size you would generally see for a crib blanket. Any one have any idea how much I would need of three fabrics? I plan on doing the strips in one the little square another and the big squares a third. I have done o.e before that I used like 6 different fabric that were fqs so no real.idea how much I would need. This top has to also be large enough to be a toddler blanket for a convertible crib that does a toddler bed.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 AM
lgc

A crib size quilt top takes about 3 Yards of fabric. If you are not following directions, get a little extra yardage of the block fabric(s) for ease of mind. You could always use leftovers for pieced back or of course the stash.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 AM

were you planning on adding borders?

Cutting squares out at 5" gives you a FINISHED size of 13" blocks. You can normally get 8 5" squares out of a WOF. That means for your strip color and your main color, each WOF gives you enough for 2 blocks. For your little square color, each WOF gives you enough for 8 blocks.

A simple 3 x 4 block, no border, layout would be about 39" x 52", which would be a common size that I use for baby quilts. (I don't have a toddler bed to lay this on for comparison.) This means you would need 12 blocks. Since each WOF of the strip & the main square gives you 2 blocks, you need 6 WOF or (5" x 6 WOF = ) 30" - if all cutting is perfect!. Since each WOF of the little squares gives you 8 blocks worth, you need two WOF or (5" x 2 WOF = ) 10" .

I would add at least 1/8 of a yard (probably closer to a 1/4 since each strip you're cutting is 5") to account for any cutting mishaps. So that means 1 1/8 yards of the main two colors and 1/2 yard of the little square.

If you want to add borders to make the quilt bigger or add extra blocks to make the quilt bigger, that will affect your measurements. But know that using 5" squares, each WOF of the main 2 colors will give you 2 blocks and each WOF of the little square color will give you 8 blocks.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks. I was thinking three yards was needed for the top. Glad I asked about how much each might need. Nothing worse than running out of fabric.