Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine malfunction question >

sewing machine malfunction question

sewing machine malfunction question

Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 PM

While trying to rewind the bobbin on my Viking 545 the thread broke (cheap thread) and now my bobbin seems jammed on the rewinding knob. Has anyone else had this problem and what can I do about it? I tried turning the machine off then on and moving the needle up and down but the bobbin still seems to be stuck in place.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM

I did this one time...I have the #555...
You may need to break the bobbin to remove it....that is what I finally had todo after talking to a repair man. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and just grasped the green edge and gently twisted. But first try to use the pliers to remove the bobbin.
The cost of a bobbin is much cheaper than a repair.

PS...No more cheap thread...quality machine...quality thread
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 PM

I agree with Tinks mom. Sacrifice the bobbin.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 AM

The thread may have been wound so tight that it 'squished' the inside of the bobbin against the bobbin winding post. You could try and remove the thread....
Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
The thread may have been wound so tight that it 'squished' the inside of the bobbin against the bobbin winding post. You could try and remove the thread....
I don't have the machine but I like the idea of removing the thread FIRST - before breaking the bobbin - I'd be concerned about breaking something else in the process of breaking the plastic bobbin.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I think you must be a genius or something. I would put in an order for a halo for you but I suspect you already have one. I just removed the thread and the bobbin slid right off. Now I can get back to sewing and not go to the repair shop. Thank you so much.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

when i did that i just unwound the thread from the bobbin (didn't break my bobbin)
it is stuck because it wound too tight and is putting pressure on the spindle- unwind it by hand- when the thread is off the pressure is released.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 AM

I had this happen to me. I was told by the dealer that I wound the bobbin too fast, (it was embroidery bobbin thread). This created too much heat and expanded the bobbin. I removed the thread onto a spool by hand, took off the bobbin. Viking bobbins are plastic. Then compare it to a new bobbin you could see the difference in the size. THROW THAT BOBBIN AWAY!

At retreat this week, I was telling the story to another lady. Wouldn't you know it, someone else had this happen and that lady I told the story to was nearby and helped her. That time it was sewing thread that she was winding.

Moral of story, slow down.

Jean
Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 AM

So happy you have the solution and now you can quilt.
I am pretty analytical and I really do not think I would have thought to unwind the thread off the bobbin to get the bobbin to release. I love what I learn on the Quiltingboard and thank each of you for giving us so much knowledge and information to grow from.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

pretty interesting... if going too fast hurts the bobbin, why do they make the machine capable of doing that?