Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? >

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Here's the obverse side of the coin. Even though my ex-dil and son have been divorced for 16 years and she lives in Germany, she and I are still "in love" with each other. So, for her daughter's (not my son's child) 12th birthday this Spring I made her a garden quilt. My dil's family apparently has absolutely NO craft talent, but you would have thought I'd given them a treasure from the Taj Mahal. Now I've made a quilt for her son's upcoming 7th birthday. I feel like the luckiest, most loved "ex" mil in the universe!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM

My younger sister does not like quilts.

Everyone else loves them. BIL just had my older sister check out the price of the one in the local quilt shop window. He did not think $300 was very high. Guess I know what's on their bed now. LOL

I make quilts and table toppers for those who appreciate home made items. My mom will not even wash her table topper - I even put that heat reflective padding in it. She is afraid it will get wrecked.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Last year when my niece got married I made them a quilt and I think they really liked it. When her sister got engaged I told her I would like to make a quilt for them also. I then caught myself and said that is if you want one. I was so happy she said Yes, we would love to have you make a quilt. Don't give up lots of people want a quilt you just have to find those people.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 PM

I've made my BIL a quilt, and his wife didn't like it. I made it the colors he wanted. I've know him since he was 12 yrs old, and I figured if that was the colors he wanted, he got it.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM

I have 2 living daughters (1 passed away, she would have loved anything I did) and 1 son, 8 grandsons, and 4 grand-dtrs. Two of the gr-dtrs are tom boys. It boils down to 1 daughter and perhaps 1 gr-dtr that truly enjoy my quilts, esp. wallhangings. Hopefully some of my grandsons will marry girls who will enjoy my creations. Until then, I guess I am just doing it FOR MY OWN ENJOYMENT!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 PM

When I give a "quilt" many times I get a thank you for the "blanket"................ ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! But, no use trying to explain the difference; they just don't understand - so be it - even when I tried it still came back blanket!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM

They just don't "GET IT"! I have to chuckle, the remark, "no thank you", reminds me of the mother on TV's Raymond.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM

At first my daughter was not interested in my quilts. Said: "Quilting is not my thing." Now, she will accept/take anything that comes off my needle. She now has 3 lap robes, and took all my excess wallhangings when I moved from my house to a retirement apartment. They are all prominently displayed in her house. Times bring change.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:23 PM

My friend just bought a new home and I planned to make her a quilt as a housewarming gift. I was talking with her and she was talking about buying a comforter for her room because she had always had "just ole quilts" before. I'm glad I found out she didn't want an "ole quilt" before I spent the time and money on one for her.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM

My Family do not want my quilts right now either. I just keep making them for my own enjoyment and when I am dead and gone I am hoping they will like them then, and if not; where ever they would decide to donate them will be happy. I am not going to stop doing what I love to do because my family isn't ready for them. they are into the Spa LOOK LOL
I have a friend who told me" if you make a quilt for a gift for someone just give it to them and let them keep it."
I should add my family does think they are beautiful just not their style for now.
I give them away when we visit friends or if they are sad or just because.