Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine question from newbie >

Sewing machine question from newbie

Sewing machine question from newbie

Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Good Afternoon the title says it all. Is there a tutorial for getting your bobbin in the right way. I got it to go for the first one and even got to practice my sewing. And now that I want to put in a new bobbin well not working it binds the whole machine up. It is a Brother machine I guess you call it a drop in bobbin by the foot. Hope this makes sense to someone. TIA
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 AM

When I am using my BF's machine at his house, I always have to look at the manual when putting the bobbin in... Otherwise, the darn thing wont thread right! :) Do you have a manual you can look at?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 AM

make sure the thread rotates to the left when you pull the tail - I have a brother
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

your owners manual should be your best sewing friend- it will tell you everything you need to know to successfully use and care for your machine- if you do not have one- go to the manufacturers web site and order or download one- it is important to have-
i've been sewing for 45 years- i still pull out my manual when something happens---it's important to get to know your machine- inside and out.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Yeah I have the manual sat there with it in front of me. I have the thread on the left and run it thru the slicer and the when I draw it up my bobbin thread runs across the top left side of my bobbin. Someone told me my tension might be to tight. Pretty bad a 47 yr old just learning to sew. HOW SAD!!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

When you drop it in the tail of thread should make the bobbin turn counterclockwise. That is how mine is and it's a Brother SQ9000. Then you take the tail of thread and follow the groves. When you then lower the needle it will catch the bobbin thread and pull it up.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM

When my Brother knots up , it is usually not threaded correctly. This happened yesterday right after I placed a new bobbin in.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM

make sure that your machine is thread propertly, I get the problem you are talking about if its not thread right, miss one loop somewhere and you have a sewing mess, at least for me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232020.gif  
Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tedytrser
Yeah I have the manual sat there with it in front of me. I have the thread on the left and run it thru the slicer and the when I draw it up my bobbin thread runs across the top left side of my bobbin. Someone told me my tension might be to tight. Pretty bad a 47 yr old just learning to sew. HOW SAD!!
It is never too late/ or we are too old, to learn a new hobby, skill, or desire :D:D:D
Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM

When you put the bobbin in the bobbin case, whether the case comes out or is one that stays in the machine, the thread should make a U turn from the bobbin to the slot the thread fits into. You also need to be sure the thread is securely in the slot. If it slips out it can really make a mess.
Hope this takes care of your problem!