Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall >

Design Wall

Design Wall

Old 07-27-2011, 05:51 AM

I am looking to add a design wall to my craft room and have no idea what to do. How big should it be? What should it be made of? I am thinking a curtain rod with a king size white sheet. My husband is thinking a window shade that can be rolled up and down as needed. This wall will be over the byfold closet doors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

The bigger the better IMHO!!!!!!

You can even cover your bifold doors with fabric for a design wall.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 AM

Several people have said they use flannel like the back of a picnic table cloth. Do a search on here, you will find many ideas.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned

I made a design wall from one of those cardboard cutting mats that you find at Joann's or Hancocks. I bought some flannel (on sale of course) in a solid color and covered the inside of the mat and stapled it around the edges to the backside. I like it because it is rigid and because I can fold it and put it behind a cabinet. If I need to take a WIP to class, I don't even take my quilt blocks or pieces off the design wall. I just fold the mat with the pieces on the inside and throw it in the car. The whole thing cost about eight bucks total to make.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ontheriver
Several people have said they use flannel like the back of a picnic table cloth. Do a search on here, you will find many ideas.
Fleece works great too. I've put up fully assembled quilts on it and it sticks without pins. A bonus of the fleece is the width. I used black.

There's also a flannelette product that has grid markings on white that is great for placement and keeping all straight.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 AM

I love my design wall. Never had one until about 6 months ago. Don't know what I did before. The shade idea is good, but what will make the pieces stick? Can you put fleece on it and still roll it up? Getting it up out of the way is a good idea since it will hang over doors. Without the fleece the quilt pieces won't stick. There are different ideas posted here, try the search function. Good luck.
Sue
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Wow, while I was typing my reply, so was everyone else. Great minds think alike. LOL
Sue
Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 AM

I suggest you make it at least as large as any quilt you "think" you may make. Mine is 7 1/2' x 6' wide. Right now I am working on a quilt that is about about 6" wider and longer than that. It makes it a lot harder to work on. I just used two sheets of the rigid foam insulation from Home Depot. Cut one in half and added it to the side of one of the panels. I don't have a cover on mine because I use spray baste and do it it all on my design wall.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
The bigger the better IMHO!!!!!!

You can even cover your bifold doors with fabric for a design wall.
That's what I did. I cut a vinyl table cloth to the size of the bifolds and hot glued them to the doors - so the doors are still functional. I would like it to be bigger, but at least I have something. :-)
You could also just hang said tablecloth above the doors and if you needed to, you could remove the whole thing, pieces and all, roll it up and take it with you to a class or workshop.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM

I love my Block Butler.

http://www.blockbutler.com/cart/