Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Permanent pens for quilts and/or labels >

Permanent pens for quilts and/or labels

Permanent pens for quilts and/or labels

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Hi, all

I did do a cursory search, but the forum is slow today. Or maybe it's just me. :-P

I am working on an order for some of the lighter colored frixion pens for working on dark fabrics. I got a three pack of dark pens at Staples and they worked pretty well for marking squares to make HST pieces. Anyway, I am planning to order from JetPens for two reasons, one is that if I spend 25 bucks I don't have to pay shipping. (Of course, they may decide to ship via a slow boat to China by way of Antarctica, but we'll see.) I also like their prices and reviews.

So, I am looking for pens that you have used to write on quilt labels, or other places on your quilts that were permanent inks. I read one post by a lady who swears by Sakura Gelly Roll pens. I've also read that a lot of people use Pigma Micron pens. Are these permanent on fabric?

My quilting group is making lap quilts for nursing home residents and we'll need labels for the quilts. I think it's a good idea to write each recipient's name on his/her quilt label to help prevent "it's MINE" squabbles later. I'd prefer to write the names so as to prevent some dumb @#$ from taking a magic marker and writing the name in a huge ugly print across my hard work. :lol:

If I get brave and decide to design my own labels, what pens work well for that job AND are permanent on fabric? I saw the info on the gelly roll pens and it said not to use on fabric that will be washed. These lap quilts will be run through an industrial washer, I expect, so I need something that will hold up under pressure.

Your opinions, reviews and advice are greatly appreciated! Happy quilting and pieceful sewing! Have an awesome weekend,
M&M
Old 07-30-2011, 11:42 AM

i use the Pigma Micron pens,but to be honest..the quilts are out the door..and have no idea how the label has held up!
sorry i can't be more help
Old 07-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Ultra fine Sharpies. But like the other gal says, quilts are OTD and I am not really sure of long term wear....
Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 PM

Pigma Microns here.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:24 PM

I have used Pigma Micron pens for writing on the label information. The red, green, and brown have faded. A LOT! It's been about 2 years, and I can barely read some info. That quilt gets washed about once a month. I made a siggie pillow for a friend that gets washed frequently since her dog drags it to his end of the couch to use, and all the writing that was done in Sharpies has held up, while the ones with the Pigma pens have faded.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

i've used both the pigma pens .05 and jelly rolls. i heat set with my iron, just to be sure. no problems in years of doing siggy block swaps.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Nice to know all this info!!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

What a wonderful project for your guild to undertake. Don't know about pens to write with, but one word of caution donating to nursing homes.

I have seen/heard a lot of sad stories about quilts given to nursing homes being misplaced, 'lost', found in someone elses' room WITHOUT a label. If it is for a specific person, you might want to attach the label in a way that is NOT EASY to remove, or write it directly onto the backing fabric. Some of the stories have been from relative of patients who gave lap quilts & they 'disappeared' - till a search was made & they were found in another's room w/no label.

Have a blessed Sunday & happy quilting.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
What a wonderful project for your guild to undertake. Don't know about pens to write with, but one word of caution donating to nursing homes.

I have seen/heard a lot of sad stories about quilts given to nursing homes being misplaced, 'lost', found in someone elses' room WITHOUT a label. If it is for a specific person, you might want to attach the label in a way that is NOT EASY to remove, or write it directly onto the backing fabric. Some of the stories have been from relative of patients who gave lap quilts & they 'disappeared' - till a search was made & they were found in another's room w/no label.

Have a blessed Sunday & happy quilting.
Sadly, that is true. Nursing homes, in general, have a bad track record about personal possessions. :cry:
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM

I've made labels with the pigma and they have held up well. You absolutely have to heat set them.