Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders? >

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM
jme

I buy remnants! They are the best way to go as they are often not full priced. I also look for scraps at thrift stores, cut up clothes and steal my mom's scraps out of her trash!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Very pretty! I do some with borders, some without. I definitely don't like wide borders. I think yours looks fine as it is.

Charm packs, layer cakes, and other precut sets are a good way to buy small pieces for a scrappy quilt. One of my LQS used to offer a brown bag special - they had a huge trash can full of bolt end cuts and scraps from workshops and their samples and such that they would sell by the bag for a reasonable price. I have also gotten some great stuff off of the remnant table.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM

I generally do the "birthing method" if I don't use borders
Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Beautiful quilt. I think a white binding would look great. This quilt looks 3D in a way. Love it!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM

When I did a scrap quilt I didn't use a border and it looks just right( to me!).It is strange tho because there no right or wrong place to stop adding pieces !!

Like someone else, said I bought charm squares and fabric samples from H of P , but you can end up with colour ranges you don't want.After 30 years of hoarding I reckon theres still enough fabric for one or two more scap quilts .
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Can you please tell me what the "birthing method" is????
Karen

Originally Posted by bookworm
I generally do the "birthing method" if I don't use borders
Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by karensue
Hello Ladies

I just finished my very first scrappy quilt. It was fun but lots of piecing (finished 50 x 70). And I had to use a friends' scraps since I don't have any - I'm afraid that I only buy enough material, if that, for a specific quilt - not much left over.

Since everyone always wants to know the information on a photo, I will give that info first, and then ask my questions. It came from:
Quilts From the Heart
Karin Renaud
Pattern: Arkansas Crossroads

1) I was wondering if you have to put a border on (maybe it serves a purpose) ?? I like it the way it is but have never really seen a quilt without a border. Any suggestionson on this?

2) I now would like to do another scrappy and don't know how to go about purchasing material. Like I said I don't have any "scraps" and had spent all day with a friend cutting up hers for my quilt. Since she was so kind I would never ask her again to help me out for my next scrappy quilt. But now, how do I proceed to get material to do another one. The biggest scraps we used were 3 inches wide, so do I buy small yardage of lots of material (I am imagining the look on cutting girls' face if I do this), but really want to do another one. How do I buy fabric for a scrappy quit?

On another note - good and bad. I've been quilting for 4 years (still a beginner), and until last night my husband has only told me ONCE that he liked my quilt. Last night he liked this one, and said the colors are great, nice and bright. So I guess that was the good part, but the bad part is that I guess I don' pick the right colors myself.

I'm still learnng but would love to hear your suggestions.
Thank You
Karen
Marietta, Georgia
I think, since there are half blocks all around, you can get away with not adding a border. I usually like to add a border only to keep the binder from blocking a portion of the block. I know it's only 1/4", but I'm picky that way.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 PM

When I quilt something that I don't want a border on, I use the pillowcase method to attach the back and batting, then flip it and quilt it.

So, you would see the wrong side of the top, the right side of the back, and the batting.... then sew around the edges and leave a pocket. Turn the edged sandwich inside out so you see the right side of the top (just like a pillow case), then close the hole. Finally, tie or quilt your top to finish it off.

Biggest drawback in this method ... if your top isn't laying flat, you will get puckers when you go to quilt it. I generally use this method for smaller quilts without borders.

So the choice is yours - "To border or not to border?".

Show us what you decide so we can admire it (either way)!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Beautiful scrap quilt and very nice work. Without a border would suit me just fine.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful