Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Places to donate to >

Places to donate to

Places to donate to

Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 AM

I was wondering if someone had a list of different places that took quilts kid and adult?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 AM

I have donated quilts to the local hospital for the pediatrics unit. Also the cancer treatment centers. We have an organization in my area called FISH that helps the needy. I have donated fleece blankets to them and I know they would also welcome quilts. Check with your local police/fire departments. Sometimes they take quilts to give to people who are suddenly displaced from their homes due to fire, domestic abuse, etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM

i too donate local to the children's hospital, breast cancer treatment center, and the 2 local hospice facilities.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Here are two that take kids projects:

http://www.projectlinus.org/
http://www.binkypatrol.org/
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 AM

To donate to soldier's there is http://soldiersangels.org/sewing-team.html
This is a big organization that has many different ways of helping soldiers. I have adopted a soldier through them and plan on donating quilts for their blankets of hope.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM

I would think that childrens hospitals; rest homes, I can imagine some of these elderly people would love to snuggle w/a quilt; bring back memories. Homeless shelters; check w/your LQS; ours do the quilts of valor and you can get the quilting part done for free.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

womens resource center,
hospital pediatrics ward
fire/police departments- EMT's
senior center
care facilities
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM

I prefer to donate in our area, mostly because we live in a cold climate, the need is big, and shipping is expensive.
Special Olympics I will mail to as I crochet the neck scarves for the Olympics programs for each state have their own color neck scarf.Preemie blankets, and new born baby hats are good to. We have a lot of clothing drives here in winter. I also make dollie blankets for a shelter house for women as some times they leave their homes in a hurry. A child likes some thing they can keep for their own. I don`t like to donate to our local Good Will because their prices are so high when reselling. We have a resale store in a local village that I give a lot of things. The resale price is good, it`s run by volunteers, and the profits go to the school district, to keep programs that would other wise be dropped.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 PM

Most hospitals will have a charity organization that works within that hospital/hospice. If you call them, they will be able to tell you what they need, sizes, and requirements, etc. It is best to make that call before showing up with items that they can't use. There are many places that can use quilts and the gratification of giving someone a quilt that helps them feel better also will help you feel good!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

you can phone your closest church, welfare league, salvation army, base chaplain, hospitals, hospices, guilds, you name it...try to keep it as local as you can...