Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the age you became an empty nester at? >

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C
Freed from jail? I so miss my girls; I'd give anything to have them 'need me' again...
Originally Posted by Darlene
52 and it was like being freed from jail.
:cry:
Oh, they will need you again, trust me!!! I can guarantee it. They go out on their own, feel their own wings but in awhile, they will have triumphs and problems that will require talking to Mom. You'll never be done; it's not a job that goes away. In the meantime, be good to YOURSELF, enjoy your time alone and do something you love...truly love. Most of all, keep a journal of your feelings, then when they come to you with all their problems you can look back and say, "What was I THINKING????" HA HA :thumbup:
Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
I was 33 when both of my girls were on their own. Got an early start. LOL The biggest change waas that DH could finally walk around the house in his underwear........or without.
I love this board...........get so many morning laughs!!!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 AM

I became an empty nester at age 38. I love the free time I have had and have spent a lot of time volunteering. My son is slightly less than two hours away, so I still get to see him on a regular basis.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 AM

not an empty nester yet. Still one at home, although you would never really know it- well, maybe when the basket appears in the laundry room to be done. He works strange hours some days, some nights so it feels like he really isn't here.

After 4 kids I was glad they moved out but at the same time I really don't like the silence. My house was cleaner when they were here and I enjoyed cooking. I keep asking hubby to take a leaf out of the table to make it smaller but he won't.

Look forward to their calls and visits, but no, they don't need to come back. (Of course, they could come back and take the rest of the stuff they left behind)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:43 AM

42 or 43 -- don't quite remember, but my sons are 38 and 42. Love my sons, but I've really loved every minute of being an empty nester.

I can just be me esp. since retiring. Now I have time to do the things I want -- just have to budget more than when I was working.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 AM

I am 58 and was a mom at 20 and a grandma at 45, my youngest child is 34 with 2 little boys of his own, and I have the pleasure of babysitting them, they are 11mos and his older brother is 2, I am having the time of my life with them, lots of hard work at this age but well worth it, i know they are well taken care of, fed, bathe,play a lot sooo much fun. I hated it when my kids grew up and left, couldn't wait for it to happen, but when it got here i was devastated.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

Wow can't believe how young alot of you were when you became empty nesters!

I'm 32 and my kids are 6, 3, 1 and 4mths so it will be a very long time before I am an empty nester.....well I hope so!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 AM

Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 AM

My husband and I never had children (by choice)so I guess 20, when we got married.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 AM

I am 57 and in another week I'll be officially an empty nester. My kids ages range from 42 down to 22 so I've been raising kids for over 40yrs. This last one is taking with her, her 5yr old son and 6mo old daughter; so that's alot. She will only live a few miles away and the grandkids will still be at my house several times a week so while I'll be living by my self I'll still have plenty of company; I'm sure. The part that I'm looking forward to the most is when I leave to go to work in the morning and I come home at night; my house will still be clean and if I want to watch the TV; I'll be able to hear it. I'm really excited.