Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you tilt your machine? >

Do you tilt your machine?

Do you tilt your machine?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 AM

No I haven't ever tilted mine. It didn't make since to bring the machine closer to me there fore blocking the view. And I do so much free motion it need to be flat. The slant need thought was it would be stronger going in at a slant but they have since decided a straight on was the best and breaks less needles. Also a straight needle will ride over a thick seam better too and not tend to push it away.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 AM

Sounds like a great idea....I have never tried it. But have pulled a muscles in my neck while quilting...looks liek I ma off to Wal-Mart in the morning!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Do you tilt it back? I can't imagine what this is like. This is a first time hearing about tilting the machine.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I read just recently about a gal setting her machine into a desk, and one of the suggestions a board member gave, was
to tilt the machine, which makes it easier to see the needle and sewing area. So, when I sat down to sew this morning, I thought about that, got some small blocks, probably about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep, set them under the back of my machine, and WOW, it does make a difference.

So, I have just gotten another great tip from a member of this board and wondered how many others are doing this.
I have tilted my machines for several years now - I use 2 plastic door wedges under the back edge. It saves a lot of neck ache! I FMQ with it tilted, too.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by taciage
When you use the doorstops are you setting them all the way up to the back edge, or do you have to play with the angle? Haven't tried them yet, but will be!
I set mine all the way up to the back edge.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:16 PM

I tilt with those rubber door stops when using the machine that sits on top of the table.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 AM

I have never heard of such a thing. I assume that you tilt the machine toward you. Can someone tell me which direction the tilt? Away or towards.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sherome
I have never heard of such a thing. I assume that you tilt the machine toward you. Can someone tell me which direction the tilt? Away or towards.
Towards you. Just put the door stops under the back side, and adjust the tilt to suit you. It really works.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 PM

Thanks for sharing that. we refurbish sewing machines and there are some that drive my eyes crazy as I try and focus on the needle while having to adjust to bad machine designs. Great help
Old 08-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I put a 1x3 piece of wood under the back of my machine. It likes to slide as I sew. I'm going to try the door stops. Great idea, thanks. Have you priced the clear plastic ones they sell? They are around $70 last time I looked.
To help keep machines form sliding or walking you can lay the rubbery mats for drawer liners and rug skid stoppers. I use them as I work on machines to help prevent walkers as well as it helps catch things like pins etc and it's so easy to clean or replace.