Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all >

Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

Not expecting flowers, but, warning to all

Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Make sure you shoot the violent home invaders inside to the point where they fall inside. Don't shoot people in the doorway. Legal troubles.
Actually in my state they can be on the property and as long as they are facing you you can drop them. I have a gun permit to carry so its no big deal where I shoot someone..... my yard, street, parking lot, if they are a threat I can take them out.

But around here we have been having issues with folks coming up wanting to know if they can work in your yard to fix damaged trees or what not and then they will force themselves in. I keep a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot next to the front door because of this. Lets just say the last time one of those "Home repair guys" came by they left running after they were looking down the barrel. :lol:

Billy
Old 08-27-2011, 04:08 AM

If you don't answer the door, a real florist would leave them at the door. When I am home alone, I don't answer the door.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Its just a shame that there is so much meanness in the world that you can not even go to the door of your home. :-( But crime is everywhere even in little small towns.

Billy
Old 08-28-2011, 07:56 AM

I remember a time when you left your keys in the car, doors unlocked. It is such a shame that we have to be so afraid now.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by nancy59
I remember a time when you left your keys in the car, doors unlocked. It is such a shame that we have to be so afraid now.
I don't think that the vast majority of people need live in fear. I certainly don't.

I was looking up Gavin de Becker's book, _The Gift of Fear_. for a friend and was reminded of something he goes into near the end of the book.

He points out that what "sells" the news is drama and fear. The more drama and fear a given news source provides, the more attention they get and the more they can charge for their advertising. Can you see where this is going?

Right now, we, as a culture, have "bought" ourselves a news media that delivers lots of short jolts of adrenaline but very little thoughtful consideration of the news issues of the day.

This is not a new trend, it has been going on just about as long as the printing press made mass distribution of literature possible. Read James I & VI's book, _Malleus Malificarum_, for a great example. Yes, that is the same King James as in the famous version of the Christian Bible.

The big difference is that while it took many people and many resources to produce copies of the _Malleus Malificarum_ (roughly translated as "Witch's Hammer"), it takes as little as one human being and one computer to spread the news today.

I only recently made my husband stop leaving the keys in the car at home. The problem was that he'd hit the electric door lock as he got out of the car without realising it (new car) and then be locked out of the car with no keys!

Nothing to do with fear of crime at all, unless you consider husbandly silliness to be a criminal offence.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 PM

To Johanna, we should all listen to johanna, it does not matter if you are a five hundred pound gorilla, always be careful

thanks johanna

jan in florida
Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the warning. Down here they wanted to come in and clean your carpet. It's always something. I don't open my door anymore unless I know the person. Sue
Old 09-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Sp much for the days when I never locked my doors home or not. I hate the feeling of having to lock yourself in.